1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista BCD problem (I think)

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Regicide, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Regicide

Regicide Thread Starter

So, I recently installed a new version of linux. I setup up grub, and dual booting worked fine. Then, This morning, I cannot access my Vista partition, I click on the 'Vista' text in grub and the computer just restarts.

I know this is not a grub issue, I am not a n00b in that department. I know that it must be a Vista issue:

The computer came with a Recovery partition (the first partition) and Vista is the second. If I boot up into the Recovery, it immediately tells me that there are some booting issues that it will take care for you. Ok, great. Next time I boot and I select 'Vista', it goes striaght into the Recovery partition, but this time is mounts Vista as D: and the Recovery as C: and display my users and Desktop for me. After logging in, a bunch of message boxes appear telling me it couldn't load my profile (this is because Vista is usually C: and the recovery is D:). I say ok to all of them. Nothing works inside this mode of windows except the command prompt. At this point, I cannot access the recovery console because it always boots into this mixed partition mode.

I have tried using bootrec and bcdedit and no combination seems to be able to fix Vista loading correctly.

I talked to Gateway support and they said to format it. But, I rather not -- obvisiously. I know what needs to be done, I just don't know how to do it.

Thanks in advance anyone with any ideas.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702799

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice