1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Beta 2 -- 64bit or 32bit ???

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by FortHoodTX, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FortHoodTX

FortHoodTX Thread Starter

I am dual-booting Windows XP Pro Corp and Windows Vista Beta 2 [32bit, build 5384]. I am running a Sempron processor, so performance isn'ta ll that great with it, but I can still use it with no problem or huge lag. I am building a new PC on Tuesday, putting in brand new hardware, featuring an Athlon X2 4200+ dual core chip. Here's the question:

I have the 32-bit version of Vista. Should I run that, or try to get the 64-bit? I know the Athlon X2 cpu is "backwards compatible" and can run both 32 and 64-bit applications, and granted all of my apps are 32bit, should I install the 64-bit version of Vista? Microsoft has closed the download section of course, and Vista can no longer be downloaded from their site. It will be heaps of trouble to get a copy of the 64-bit version, but I can do it if it's going to be worth it.

What do you all think is the best way to proceed? I think I am going to dual-boot on my new PC too, since this Vista is a beta version and all.. might as well have XP in case I need it.

Which version to run?!

2. hynesy

hynesy

Hi FortHoodTX,
    since since your programs are 34-bit, i would say it is better to stick with the 32-bit, why should you have to purchase 64-bit programs, seems like a waste of money, unless you have got some money to burn of course.
    cheers
    hynesy

3. TechB

TechB

Why not install both. I prefer the 64 bit version. It's faster on the right hardware. The problem with it is drivers are scarcer than with the 32 bit version. The whole point of the beta and CTP releases are for testing and test driving. Test drive both.

4. FortHoodTX

FortHoodTX Thread Starter

I just assumed that I would install the 32-bit software on the 64-bit Vista, since the dual-core will run both.. and I'm sure there aren't many 64-bit applications out, anyway. Will I encounter problems between my 32-bit drivers and my 64-bit OS if I install them?

I'll try to get a copy of the latest 64-bit build.

5. TechB

TechB

You need 64 bit drivers for the 64 bit version. That's why I recommended installing both. You may not be able to find 64 or 32 bit drivers for some hardware. Generally it's easier to find 32 bit drivers. You can run 32 bit software on Vista 64 but you need 64 bit drivers.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I installed the 64 bit beta, and after screwing around trying to find compatible stuff like free AV and the like, I ditched it and went with the 32 bit version. Truthfully, I doubt you'll be able to measure the difference in speed between the two versions.

7. TechB

TechB

I recently was assembling a computer for a customer and had some spare time. It was a high end gaming machine. I could tell the difference between Vista 64 and 32. Who knows if the difference was drivers, 64 bit vs 32 bit, or whatever. All I can go by is what I saw in this particular case. Vista 64 bit was noticable quicker on this machine.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485564

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice