1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista - black screen after log in

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by barrypatch, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. barrypatch

barrypatch Thread Starter

A friend of mine has a Dell laptop running Vista. She turns it on, logs in and then the screen goes black and we only get a cursor. I have tried booting in safe mode and still have the black screen saying safe mode. I have attempted a repair and also a system restore. There are set restore points, but none of them have fixed the problem. I can't get to anything to see anything.

Any ideas on what to do?

Thanks.

Nan

2. TekTime

TekTime

Oh no!! Did the laptop recently have Windows updates installed? If so that could be the culprit. I dont know of a way to fix that particular problem and I spent hours trying to figure out. I did find out that in many cases, malware being present on the Vista operating system prior to installing certain updates can cause the black screen issue.

My Vista laptop did the exact same thing after an update and the black screen issue began the next day (I didn't have any malware that was detected by the way) I gave up trying to repair it and eventually reformatted the hard drive and installed Windows 7. So much better than Vista.

3. helpful

helpful

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977675

Download the hotfix and copy to a usb stick or burn to CD/DVD drive from a different computer. Use the Run Command through the Task Manager (hit alt+ctrl+del) to install the hotfix.

If you can not install the update, your only option is to contact Microsoft Support.

Note: There is also a black screen issue that is by design when WGA detects Vista RTM as non genuine.

4. barrypatch

barrypatch Thread Starter

I found the hotfix, but I can't even get task manager to load. My safe mode screen is black. I think I am going to tell her to take it to a repair shop, this is beyond me.

Thanks.

Nan

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915337

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice