1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista - Black Screen - First Restart/Reboot

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Gnom3ish, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gnom3ish

Gnom3ish Thread Starter

I have spent many hours the past week trying (unsucessfully) to install Windows Vista. I have downloaded and installed all the most recent drivers and BIOS updates for all of my hardware. I have run the Vista Upgrade Advisor and it says that my system should be good to go and that there are no serious issues. The only item on the "Task List" is to download Vista drivers for a wireless networking adapter I have in the system to be installed after.

I have tried to do an upgrade from Windows XP and a Full Install of Vista with the same results. I start the install and everything goes smoothly (installer unpacking files and getting ready for installation) until right after the first reboot. The system restarts and tries to boot into Vista to finish the installation but after the first screen with the green progress bar my screen goes black and nothing happens after that.

I have tried leaving it running for over an hour in hopes that something was still going on. There doesn't seem to be any HD activity going on. So, I assume there is some sort of driver issue with my hardware of something causuing problems. I have tried to boot Vista into Safe Mode, but the load stops on the file "disks.sys" and basically freezes there.

I have tried to remove all unnecessary hardware from the system (Sound Card, Fire Wire card, Networking adapters) and then re-running the installer with no success. I have tried to install and old Video Card and re-run the installer but got no better results.

At this point I have spent over 8 hours playing around with Vista and have not been able to get past this issue. No matter what I try, it stops in the same exact spot. The only difference now, is that it freezes with the progress bar still on the screen instead of going to a "Black Screen".

Any ideas of anything else I could try?

Here are my System Specs...

AMD Barton 3000+ CPU
    MSI K7N2 MS-6570 Mobo
    nVidia geForce 6800 gt
    2.5 gigs of Memory
    Plenty of free Hard Drive space

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Is the hard disk a SATA drive? If it's connected to any kind of RAID adapter on the MB, you may need to load the drivers during the install, even if it's not configured for RAID.

3. Gnom3ish

Gnom3ish Thread Starter

No SATA harddrives at all. Just 3 IDE drives and I tried to disconnect the other two during install with no success. =( I've pretty much tried everything I can think of. Giving up on this system until they release another build.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

I don't believe that Vista will support a graphics card that old. I have run Vista with a GeForce card using an XP driver, but it showed some instability and it does not appear that NVidia is planning on releasing Vista drivers for cards that are below Vista recommendations.

Did the advisor give you any information on the NVidia card?

Chances are that you can get Vista to run with that card but you may want to beg/borrow a higher-end card for the original installation.

5. Gnom3ish

Gnom3ish Thread Starter

Upgrade Adviser says everything is good to go. No conflicts and nothing to do on the task list. The nVidia Geforce 6800 gt isn't that old of a card, so i don't see why it wouldn't work. I've read of others installing fine with older nVidia cards. =/

I'll admit that it must be an issue with hardware, but what. I've checked all drivers, BIOS updates, etc... I might just be stuck waiting for a newer build. =(

6. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

I believe it is a bios incompatibilty problem, related to certain HD's. If that is a Samsung HD try one of the others. Otherwise, have you saved your original bios? Sometimes a downgrade works with this problem.

7. zgap111

zgap111

I've installed Vista x64 OEM version successfully, but with three issues in the device manager - 2xOther Devices = Unknown driver
    1xUSB Controller = Mass Storage Problem

Today I booted up and had a pop up that said an unknown device installed SUCESSFULLY (usually it is unsuccessful).

So I re-booted and it failed. Just boots to a black screen with no response from keyboard.

Rebooted using "Last known successful" setting. Looked at device manager, and saw that the USB problem disappeared.

Rebooted again, and it failed - black screen again.

I've got a AKASA All in one card reader on my machine, pulled the internal USB plug to that, and now it boots okay.

Check if you have a memory card thing reader on your USB, maybe it's that.

(Still a mystery on what my two unknown devices, I've only got a gfx and snd card attached to the mboard now - maybe an nvidia nforce4 thing - cannot find an official driver for that yet)

8. Gnom3ish

Gnom3ish Thread Starter

I have removed all unnecessary hardware in an attempt to get around whatever it's hanging on. I have even stripped out all of my other PCI cards (Soundcard, firewire card, wireless network card, etc...) and still get the issue. I am pretty sure it hast to do with my Mobo or Video card (even though I did try a different, slightly older, video card too...)

9. techy689

techy689

Alright, I have my nVidia graphics installed for Vista, but whenever my monitor falls asleep, I can never get Vista to come back... Also, sometimes my screen randomly blinks. Anyone experienced Vista user know why?

10. Gnom3ish

Gnom3ish Thread Starter

Just attempted my last install on this machine... I tried to install to a completely different and formatted drive, and got the same issue. I'm guessing it's a Motherboard/BIOS incompatibility issue... =(

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you have a "setup" default setting in BIOS, try that. If not, use whatever "default" is available, especially if you have made any changes to the settings.

Try a memory test, too. It is a simple test that will quickly eliminate memory as a possibility.

Memtest86
    Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)

12. Lolish

Lolish

oki Gnom3ish i just registred for you to try to help you out.
    I had same problem as you, i get as far as Loading screen of vista but it never boots up.
    I even had problems reinstalling it i get stuck on that little Blue screen. However this is what fixed the problem for me.

Just go inside the Bios and Load Safe settings and whola it workt for me. Then you can change back things you liked step by step to see whats cousing Vista to not Boot up.

I hope this helps.

13. masterdoko

masterdoko

motherboard : asus a8n-sli se
    graphics card : e geforce 7600 gt
    CRT monitor
    80 gb sata harddrive
    basic internal dvd rom drive

i'm having this same problem black screen at first vista boot to finish its install and noone seems to know the answer

14. masterdoko

masterdoko

hi to assist u guys the next time u have this question asked...it took me days of searching the net but i found this and i hope u pass it on...

-Black screen or video corruption at first boot.

Welcome to Windows Vista! Both Nvidia and ATI based cards have known
    problems for certain models that are still under investigation. If you get
    the black screen or corrupt video output after seeing the grey screen saying
    "Windows is preparing to boot for the first time", this is a highly likely
    culprit. Chances are you panicked and rebooted and keep ending up either at a
    ascreen with a blinking cursor or random lines or snow accross the screen
    after the "Windows is loading" screen. So we'll take it from there.

1. Rebooot and enter Bios. Make sure the following is set up correctly. If
    you have never changed adavanced Bios setting, please call you rgeeky cousin
    who has and have him explain as he does the next steps.

2. Make sure that APIC is enabled and ver2.0 is supported. In simple terms,
    this is the software that assigns priority to all devices attatched to your
    motherboad. Please see Wikipedia for the heavy description. Ver2.0 is
    required for Vista to make sure that all your devices will be found during
    setup and running the OS. For those with some previous experiance, APIC takes
    care of assigning IRQ and DMA addressing to all system devices to make sure
    that every device can coomunicate with the system in order of priority. If
    you have a computer or motherboard made after 2005, this is almost assured to
    be an option. You can get Vista woring under Ver1.0, but we are leaving that
    to those with previous experiance and simply saying that this is not a MS
    supported option.

3.Make sure that ACPI is enabaled. This is different than above. ACPI is
    what makes the computer go to "sleep" or "hibernate". It is universal in
    computers after 2000. Make sure you have at least ACPI S1 enabaled. S3 is
    only possible in very custom system without headaches.

4. Make sure that MPS table 1.1 or 1.4 is selected. I recomend 1.1 from
    personal experiance. This only applies to those with dual-core systems.
    Please consult your computer/MB documentation.

5.Make sure that on-board video is disabled if availible. Please also
    disable quick/fast boot for your own sanity.

6. Now save and reboot. (Typically F10)

7. On reboot, after the machine has counted the system memory and found the
    hard drive, hit F8 to enter the windows boot menu. Your machine has not yet
    loaded up winodws from the hard drive, and is essentially no different than a
    machine with a blank hard drive. You want to choose safe mode with networking.

8. You will now see the system loading, line by line. Have a cup of coffee
    on slower systems.

9. You will end up in Safe mode, but will now be getting a message of not
    being able to continue as setup was not completed. Please hit Shift-F10. This
    will leave you staring at the command prompt. You do *remember* DOS, right?

10. Type "devmgmt.msc" and the Device manager from the windows controll
    panel will show up. Look at the video card. Chance are it will not have an
    exclamation point like some devices. Feel free to load up drivers for
    anything needed from here if you know how to.

11. Right click on the video card entry and choose "Update Driver..." A
    wizard will start to guid you through the proccess.

12. You will see "Can Windows connect to Windows Update to search for
    software?" Click "No, not this time"

13.Click Next, then click "Chhose from a list", now click next.

14. Select the generic VGA Driver and click next. Windows will now install
    the standard VGA driver. Click OK to close the wizard and then close the
    device manager. Now click ok to that old warning about winodws not finished
    installing. The system will reboot.

15. The system will now boot up without without hanging or faulting on your
    video cards driver. The machine may want to reboot one more time after
    setting up your settings. If it does, you may have to repeat the proccess
    above one more time.

16. After completing set-up, you should now be looking at the desktop and
    thinking "Thank god". Now feel free to install the video drivers of your
    choice. Please make a restore point first.

15. designerfx

designerfx

Slashdot link here: http://slashdot.org/articles/07/09/11/1615211.shtml
    article slashdot is referencing here: http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9035478

I'm not saying you pirated your copy but I am suspecting that WGA may have failed during installation. an nvidia 6 series card will function in vista no problem (I know someone using a 6200), so no it's not "too old", and you have more than enough processing to at least get vista to install and run. Of course gaming is entirely another story but thats not the question the OP had.

edit: You didn't get anything similar to this, did you?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538609

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice