1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Blank Desktop

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by MattD00, Feb 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MattD00

MattD00 Thread Starter

I logged into vista today on my laptop it booted up fine and the login screen was fine. I logged in and instead of the Desktop there was just white and the my documents folder was open. I can assess every thing on my laptop apart from the start menu because there is no task bar and the windows button on the key board doesn't work. Ctrl Alt Del does work. I scanned my laptop for viruses and spy ware but i didn't find any i rebooted into safe mode but it was exactly the same. Do you have any suggestions to getting my desktop back.

2. mtbird

mtbird

I would check your Winlogon to see if anything has changed it from explorer.

Use your ctrl/alt/del to open task manager. Click the processes tab and scroll to find any instance of explorer.exe. If you find it, hightlight it and click end process. Click the applications tab, then "new task". Type in explorer.exe. Click ok. Hopefully that will give you back your desktop.

Go to start and type in regedit into your search box. When your registry editor opens, navigate to .....
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Click on Winlogon and look in the right pane for "shell". Under the data column, it should have
    explorer.exe listed. If it is anything other than that, double click on shell and change the Value
    data to explorer.exe

Reboot and see if the problem is corrected.

3. MattD00

MattD00 Thread Starter

Thanks it is working fine now.

4. ruvi

ruvi

hey i did that to my computer and it worked and then i went into my compter and f drive and went back to a black screen =[ what do i do?

5. walking_mushroom

walking_mushroom

I had the same problem and mtbird's method worked fantastically.
    I was ready to reinstall windows onto my computer

Thank you thank you thank you
    I can't thank you enough!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/686623

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice