1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

'Vista Blue Screen Computer Crash'

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by dumptyhumpty, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dumptyhumpty

dumptyhumpty Thread Starter

Blue screen crash...
    Maybe it is a coincidence, but right after downloading and installing Vista SP2, machine crashed.. Desktop, Vista Ultimate, 4 GB Memory, 250 GB hard drive, partitioned. It continues to crash even with all 3rd party programs disabled. Will even crash while sitting at the password screen. Disappears to fast to read, tried to pause/break screen and print screen, but no glory.
    Can anyone help?? Can't restore, spent 4 hrs. w/Microsoft online chat. no help..

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Go into Safe Mode and try a System Restore. Windows Update should have made a Restore Point just before installing SP2.

3. dumptyhumpty

After the goo-roos at Microsoft spent 24 hrs. evaluating why my system was crashing after downloading and installing Vista SP2, they decided it a memory problem.. Well, multiple times the memory scan was run and there were no failures. Additionally, I changed out the sticks of memory to each slot, (there are only 2) and left one out. It did not seem to matter which one either, it kept on crashing.

Anyway, we did a custom install with the Vista Ultimate OEM disk.. Started over pretty much.. Finally I was able to do a system restore from my NAS and now back to where it was before SP2... I am at a loss as to what I should do. Any "Helpful" advice????

4. xXPing_PongXx

xXPing_PongXx

Is there a reason why you need SP2? But if you really want to then I would just try to install it again. Download the service pack straight from the Microsoft website or the Windows Update Service do not try any other website other than Microsoft. If it crashes again then I suggest trying another Operating System.

Hope this helps

5. dumptyhumpty

No, don't really need it I guess... It is said that it improves the system that's all.?? Any other thoughts out there..? Thanks to the Ping pong dude by the way..

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

It is best to keep up with all your patches via Windows Update, including SP2. Patching closes security holes, and you don't want your system to fall victim to drive-by-downloads and hacking.

7. dumptyhumpty

Thanks Lunar dude. If it is just going to cause me pain. I'll wait til I can afford Windows 7..

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!