1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista blue screen during shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Tomatowen, Aug 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tomatowen

Tomatowen Thread Starter

Hi.

I recently built a new system and upgraded to Windows Vista (32-bit). Specs are:

Mobo: Biostar TA770 A2+
    CPU: AMD Phenom 9850 (quad core)
    RAM: 4GB Corsair DDR2
    Vid: eVGA card with GeForce 9800 GTX+ chip
    700W power supply

The computer is excellent: works great and super fast. The only problem is when I tell the computer to shut down or restart it begins shutting down like normal but then I get a blue screen telling me that Windows needed to be shut down to avoid damaging my computer. I've tried several things already (updating drivers, checking for obvious problems) but nothing has helped and I'm out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Tomatowen

Tomatowen Thread Starter

Ok. I've managed to narrow down the problem considerably. It has something to do with my computer's USB. With my USB peripherals unplugged I can shutdown or restart just fine (no blue screen). I only have 3 USB devices that I'm using right now: a wireless adapter that connects me to the internet, a gamepad, and a hub on my monitor. If I try to restart or shut down with any of those three devices plugged into any USB port, I get a blue screen.

Strange... certainly not what I thought the problem would be.

Any ideas?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/739383

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice