1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Blues...

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by adi_techmax, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adi_techmax

adi_techmax Thread Starter

I cannot select the Upgrade option when I try to install Windows Vista, and receive the following message: “Windows cannot determine if another operating system exists on your computer”
    Please Help.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What is the state of the system, is there another version of Windows installed? What version of Vista are you attempting to install? Most of the beta versions have upgrades disabled when you boot from the Vista DVD.

3. JamesM

JamesM

Some little facts about installing Windows Vista.

If you wipe your HDD completely then you do not have the option to upgrade this will be geyed out, therefore install on a fresh HDD.

If you install over Windows XP without SP2 then Windows Vista will not install unless this service pack has been installed.

Some version of Windows Vista have the upgrade disabled, which ones, to be honest I have tested every single one and cannot remember because I forgot to log them.

Personally I don't agree with installing an OS over another one to upgrade to a new OS. It is commen sense to install Vista on a clean HDD freshly formatted.

4. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/535701

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice