1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Boot and Blue Screen

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Manic14, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Manic14

Manic14 Thread Starter

Help... I have a situation on my HP m9370a PC where I'm stuck on the Blue screen on boot-up and cannot select any options on the blue screen (ie F9, F11 etc).
    Was the recovery disk was not given with the unit, I have invested in a recovery disk to hopefully perform a recovery of some sort from the CD drive. (Note: I have re-set RAM and RAM battery etc)
    The problem I have now is getting the machine to look at the CD drive at start-up! Obviously if I could get the key functions at the frozen blue screen I could change the BIOS settings to point to the CD drive at start up. I was wondering if there is a hardware jumper or such that may force a boot from CD??

Any ideas?

Manic14:(

2. fodelement

fodelement

That blue screen your talking about is the HP POST screen. That is not a software issue your having and reinstalling windows will not resolve your issue. What I would do is remove one of your sticks of ram and then try to power the computer back up. If it does the same thing, replace the ram stick and remove the other. If there are more then two ram sticks, take all of them out but one. If it does the same thing with each ram stick, I would then unplug the hard drive and try to power it on. If it still gets stuck on the post screen your looking at something more related to the motherboard and or processor.

Code:
    PS
    Please make sure you
    1. Unplug the computer before touching anything.
    2. Ground yourself before touching anything.
    3. Proceed with caution.:)

3. Manic14

Manic14 Thread Starter

Thanks for that .... I will progress and report back.

Manic14

4. Manic14

Manic14 Thread Starter

Update.... with the HDD unplugged the boot process runs the BIOS OK, also I can boot from the CD drive now. However once I re-connecting the HDD the boot fails after the 2nd driver start (... looking at the Bios diagnostics now enabled to display).

I'm still stuck for ideas of how I could diagnose the HDD, it looks to be stopping the process once the BIOS code starts it.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated...

Manic14

5. fodelement

fodelement

If its a sata HDD, you can try changing the port/cable that is being used and see if that helps. If not, I would try another HDD if possible.

6. Manic14

Manic14 Thread Starter

Thanks fodelement... I will try those options and report back. I will be away camping for a week tomorrow with my family so will pick this up again when I return.

Thanks for your input,

Manic14

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975945

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice