1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

vista Boot disk?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Ziggy1, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ziggy1

Ziggy1 Thread Starter

I know it is posted a million times I am sure, but is there any sure way to get a boot disk so I can get the PC to start the PC into windows.

I was running chkdsk and it froze at 52 percent.. I left it on for 12 hours but no change so I didn't know what to do and I decided to force the shutdown. well now I get an error...

\boot\bcd\

I was looking at this site, but has anyone had success with using these?

Attached Files:

2. pip22

pip22

The first thing to do is to test the hard drive to see if it has failed (that could be the whole reason for your current problem).
    That involves making a bootable CD but it's not difficult.

Go here and download Seagate SeaTools for DOS which can be used to test any brand of hard drive:
    http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=480bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

The download is an ISO file from which you can make a bootable CD using IMGBURN from here:
    http://filehippo.com/download_imgburn/

When you've made the CD, boot your faulty PC from it and test the hard drive that's got Windows installed on it.
    Use the "Long Test" or the "Extended Test" if available, for the most accurate results.
    If the testing software says "Failed" at the end of the test, the hard drive will have to be replaced with a new one.

3. Ziggy1

Ziggy1 Thread Starter

I forgot to ADD, that for some time now the laptop was having this message (screen shot), where I have to press F1 and then Windows loads. Everything loads really slow, although once loaded system is (was before the error) relativley responsive, I suspect the 4 gb ram was carrying the load.

I know the disk should be replaced, but I would like to at least try to get it booted again and try and get an Image?

Attached Files:

4. Ziggy1

Ziggy1 Thread Starter

thanks pip, I ran the scan and it found a number of errors, and recommened I replace the drive... essentially what it has been telling me... but it also said I could repair the bad sectors, although I did not see the option?

Pic attached

Attached Files:

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is no way to repair bad sectors. In Windows, they can be marked so that Windows won't use them with chkdsk /r. There are tools on the net that purport to "fix" them. Don't fall for it. They are physical corruptions of the drive surface. You would only be putting off the inevitable. Get a new drive while you can still copy the old one.

There's no Vista boot disk, either. The DVD is bootable.

6. Ziggy1

Ziggy1 Thread Starter

Oupdate:

I finally got a hold of a Vista DVD, it was for a DELL, but it allowed me to get to the repair screen. I tried to repair the booting but that did not work, so it also provided the option to get the command prompt, so I ran chkdsk /r which ran it's course fixed/marked erros sectors etc etc, then upon reboot I took out the Disc and it had set the flag to run chddsk, so that ran all the way this time... Rebooted and now windows is Loading!

So now I want to Image ( once I get a drive), any recommendations for tools to use? I don't see the option to make recovery discs in vista? It only says something about back up?

I have someone at work that can do the image, but if I can do it via vista by making recovery then I will do that also. I have Windows 7 on another PC and it clearly shows I can make recovery discs.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029658

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice