Vista Boot Problem..

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jhhunt

I recently installed Vista 32bit on the following system.

ASUS P5N-E SLI
INTEL E6600
2GB CORSAIR XMS2
320GB sataii <<<<< (Drive A)
80GB Seagate Barracuda <<<<< (Drive B)
x1950 pro 512mb pcie
500w psu

Okay so i tried running vista from my old hard drive (drive B) and it wouldnt work. So i reinstalled vista on to Drive A. installed all the latest drivers/software etc...
and it worked fine.

Now here is the problem when i disconnect drive B it wont boot at all, it just says "system failure please insert boot disk and press enter"

When i reconnect it , it works fine

Why?
Is there anyway around this without Drive B? Or do i have to reinstall without Drive B connected, i hope not :-(

Someone care to shed some light, please..

Thanks

hmmm.... i am not sure.
Do you have the disks in some sort of raid mode or so?
Have you checked to see if your disk A is initialised (in the POST/BIOS) when disk B is unplugged.
If you have, then I am guessing that your bootloader must be on Drive B, while the OS is on Drive A, so taking out B will make the computer seem not to have any OS as there is no bootloader. I am not sure how to configure the bootloader in Vista though. You may try to google and see if you get better answers, or wait for a more qualified techie to answer your question here.

davehc

David
Retired Trusted Advisor
Boot up with the Vista install disk and select the repair start up option. (That may not be the exact wording but similar) you may have to do it a couple of times due to some quirk in the operation.
Second choice is to download and install easybcd (It's free) and change your startup configuration in there. It is a very easy program to use.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online