Vista bootmgr is missing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

take.them.down

Okay, so a friend of mine had a few problems with his laptop which is less than a month old that he got as part of a deal from Orange broadband, so its kinda sucky to begin with. This aside, he was having problems with a memory dump blue screen. So in an effort to sort it out he formatted the HD. So he brought it to me and the only thing it wants to display is "BOOTMGR missing - press Ctrl Alt Del to restart" in a never-ending loop. It was running Vista, of which he assures me, there was no backup disk/installer disk. So im stumped as what to do. I've never had this problem (is it just with Vista?) and i've formatted my XP a good few times over the years.

Oh and vista is a pain in the rear. Just thought i'd make my feelings known.

Hope the above makes some sort of sense.

take.them.down

Small problem, he has no boot disk (shocking, but he hunted for it in the box for the best part of 3 hours).

I was wondering if installing something like Ubuntu would work?

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
That must be a big box ;)

Ubuntu should work, only way to know for sure is to try it, try the 'live CD' method first, you don't actually install it runs from the CD, instructions on the screen when you boot with the Ubuntu CD.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online