1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista breaks connection briefly

Discussion in 'Networking' started by aurora17, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aurora17

aurora17 Thread Starter

I have a new computer, using a clean install with Vista SP1 home premium. This problem existed prior to SP1 and in fact has almost always been there. The problem was worse with a previous Linksys 350 router.

I have a D Link router Dir 655 updated to ver 11. The problem is I am connected to the internet and the lan. Every 15 minutes or so (it varies) the internet connection dies but the Lan appears to remain working. I have issues with the LAN but first I need this resolved. The break lasts for a minute (it also varies by a few minutes)

The other machines on the lan are XP based and do not suffer this problem. They remain connected. The Lan issue is one of appearance and connectivity. They also vary in relation to the Vista machine. I haven't tried to see if there was a pattern to the connection issue but sometimes they connect and sometimes they don't.

I have pinged the router and each machine and they are all found. Speed seems fine both up and down.

I am using Kaspersky 7.0.0.125 with the firewall on. Tried with it off and Windows firewall on...same problem and tried it with no firewall...again same problem. Took Iv6 off, no effect. Tried to update the Network adapter but it appears up to date. (Atheos L1 2.4.7.10)

I must have read every internet page on Vista (is it Vista?) regarding connection issues. I turn to Tech Support for help for help...

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "... the internet connection dies but the Lan appears to remain working."

A little later you say that "other machines on the lan ... do not suffer this problem." That says to me that the internet connection does not die, but that either there is a disconnection between the router and the Vista PC, or else there is only an apparent disconnection.

What do you mean by "but the Lan appears to remain working"? When you lose internet access you can still ping the router and other computers on the LAN?

3. aurora17

aurora17 Thread Starter

Sincerely thanks for the query....hope you can help. In fact it just happened. I opened the Vista desktop and just as I logged in the internet stopped and I received a " no connectivity" icon. At the same time one of the XP desktop was on the internet and it displayed no problem with the internet. The disconnect lasted 2 minutes and it just reconnected on its own. It should be out again in about 10 more minutes if the pattern continues.

As for the Lan issues, the Vista will fail to show the XP machines on a network. Yet if I ping them then get a response. On the XP machines I loss the connectivity yet it fails to reconnect. The XP machines see each other but not the Vista machine and they don't disconnect with each other. Without doing anything, I think, I did get an XP (almost beside each other) machine to map a Vista machine drive...once. Now it doesn't work on the XP machine. I cannot map from the Vista machine because it doesn't "see" the XPs.

I ran the virus scan twice but nothing showed. I installed NetMagic on two machines, the Vista and one XP Pro. It just warns me a couple of seconds before the dektop icon changes.

I am trying to keep the variables concise but, it may confuse the issue, but then it may give you a clue.

Thanks

PS it just disconnected again....15 minutes or so after the last incident.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think you said that one PC loses connection to the router, while at the same time at least one other PC remains connected to the same router and continues to have internet access. Is my understanding correct? If so, for the problem PC, please show the following for the connected time and for the lost connection time.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

5. aurora17

aurora17 Thread Starter

He it goes, by the way it just went out and back again...

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>nbtstat -n

Local Area Connection:
    Node IpAddress: [192.168.0.198] Scope Id: []

NetBIOS Local Name Table

Name Type Status
    ---------------------------------------------
    FAMILY3-PC <00> UNIQUE Registered
    MSHOME <00> GROUP Registered
    MSHOME <1E> GROUP Registered
    FAMILY3-PC <20> UNIQUE Registered

C:\Windows\system32>
    C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Family3-PC
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : aci.on.ca

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : aci.on.ca
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Ba
    se-T Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-8C-69-57-FD
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.198(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, April 10, 2008 7:38:14 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, April 12, 2008 7:38:13 PM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : aci.on.ca
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e50:1cc9:2785:e776:2119(Pref
    erred)
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::1cc9:2785:e776:2119%9(Preferred)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Windows\system32>

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'd disable the Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) until we can make absolutely sure it is not involved in this problem.

The ipconfig /all for the disconnect may shed more light, but at this point I would be suspecting either the ethernet adapter's driver or an intermittent hardware problem with the router's LAN port, the cable or the NIC.

For the driver make sure you have the latest from your PC manufacturer's web site. Trade LAN ports and cables with another PC to try to check them out. (I say "try" because intermittent failures can play tricks.)

7. aurora17

aurora17 Thread Starter

Hi, sorry but how do I turn off ICS. I went to properties under network connections and didn't see what "help"
    "said was there...

8. aurora17

aurora17 Thread Starter

Thanks, changed the cable same effect, adapter is up to date, should I roll it back? as for NIC, hate to be bother but what do you suggest?

As for ICS, do you see it. I thought going through a router is what I set up?

9. Event3horizon

Event3horizon Banned

aurora is this computer by any chance a Dell?

10. aurora17

aurora17 Thread Starter

A Dell, in fact the laptop on the network with a wireless connection is working great. However the Vista machine is the one I am having problems with and it is a device I built in March.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes" in the ipconfig /all indicates ICS is enabled.

To disable ICS go into Network Connections and see these instructions for XP: http://www1.umn.edu/adcs/network/ics-disable.html

"adapter is up to date" means the latest driver from your motherboard manufacturer's web site?

12. aurora17

aurora17 Thread Starter

The adapter has the lasted version from the a manufacturers web site. I'll check about the ICS.

Thanks

13. Event3horizon

Event3horizon Banned

So this problematic computer is a Dell? can you please give me the model number of the Dell?

14. aurora17

aurora17 Thread Starter

Still have the same problem, and since it appears that I have little choice I am going to reinstall. However, when I attempted to activate it says I have a upgrade version but must use a full version...you know the story. Well I tried the work around as suggested elsewhere...and now I can't get past 10%, 27% 63% or it can't find a driver. I guess I have 4 days before I am locked out. I bought this OS, built a machine from scratch and this is what I get. Man Vista is a great training aid!

Anyway, I still have the internet connection problem, I'll work on the activation problem and the connection concern together. Thanks for the help....if you don't hear from me in am the linux forum...and Vista is some where on the highway http://images.techguy.org/icon/icon8.gif
    Angry

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702544

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice