1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista browsing/opening files freezing problem

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by misterrrr, Jul 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. misterrrr

misterrrr Thread Starter

Whether I'm on an internet browser, or some application that you open up files on, that program will usually just completely freeze on me

Some times it works fine and stuff, but it just freezes so much I'm getting frustrated

Here's an example :

internet browser :

I'll be on tinypic to upload a picture real fast, so I click browse. When that little window to search for the file comes up, that window immediately freezes as well as the browser. I have to force close the browser.

a program :

I use this program to trim MP3's to make ringtones and stuff. When i click 'open' the same window to get the file pops up, then bam, same thing, it just froze, then I have to force close the program.

Please oh please, help ?

2. joeten

joeten

3. misterrrr

misterrrr Thread Starter

Didn't really solve anything.. although I can get to more places now when I try to open something using tinypic, photobucket, etc browsing.

But I'm still having trouble with individual programs that need to open files.

I'm using this Audacity program right now, when I go to file> open, the little window where you browse for the file pops up, then freezes. I can see that the directory before it freezes is in the Audacity folder in my program files.

Then I have to force close the whole thing, never getting done what I want to get done.

4. milmaker

milmaker

It's hard to diagnose your issues without actually being there, but if your system's bios allows, go into it, and run a hard drive diagnostic test to check the stability of your drive. A lot of times a system that hangs up a lot can be caused by a hard drive that is about to fail. Make sure to back up all of your important files. Do you ever experience any automatic disk checks when you first start up your pc? You might try to run a disk check on your own through the command prompt to see if there are any bad sectors on your drive. If there are, and they aren't do to physical damage, disk check can possibly repair them, and you will no longer experience problems. I hope this helps. :D

5. misterrrr

misterrrr Thread Starter

Sorry, I'm kind of tech-nooby when it comes to you guys.

Milmaker (or anyone for that matter), could you give me step by step instructions of where to go or what to click if possible ? Or a link to a set of instructions ?

6. milmaker

milmaker

Try running a disk check first...
    For Vista:

1.) Go to the start menu
    2.) In the search bar type: cmd
    3.) In the command prompt type: chkdsk
    4.) Press Enter, and wait.

Here's a link to some info regarding chkdsk.exe: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

Let us know the results of the disk check

7. misterrrr

misterrrr Thread Starter

Ah, I typed in chkdsk into the prompt but this message showed up :

Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges. You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode.

If this helps or is relevant at all, my account is already the administrator account..

Again, thank you so much to you milkmaker, and anyone else who tried/tries to help.

8. milmaker

milmaker

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention because of UAC in Vista you must "run as administrator" To do this:

1.) Start Menu
    2.) All Programs
    3.) Accessories
    4.) Right Click - Command Prompt
    5.) Choose to "Run as Administrator"

Then run chkdsk

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/848037

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice