1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista C++ Visual Runtime Error?!?!?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Cell 2Dee, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cell 2Dee

Cell 2Dee Thread Starter

Please help me with this, I've been trying to sort it for weeks and I've tried everything. When my laptop boots up I get an error that says:

(In the top bar it says Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error)
    "Runtime Error
    Program: C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe
    This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application’s support team for more information. “

I close that window, and whenever I right click on the desktop I get an error that says:

"Runtime Error
    Program: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
    This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application’s support team for more information. “.

I've read lots of things on the internet about it, and I've tried uninstalling Google Toolbar, Norton Anti-Virus, I've updated Windows, disabled all the add-ons in IE, disabled all start-up apps but the errors still pop up. Would be really grateful if someone could help me with this as I'm close to pulling my hair out over it.

Thanks.

2. octeacher

octeacher

Yes I'm having exactly the same problem. I have tried disabling services and cleaning the registry and uninstalling certain unneeded applications, but nothing helps!!

I did notice however that when running in safe mode there aren't any erros and I can right click on the desktop and create folders again etc.

I could really use some help here too! Troubleshooting this is a HUGE WASTE OF TIME!!!

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What program(s) did you install just before this started?

4. Cell 2Dee

Cell 2Dee Thread Starter

I think The Sims 2 got installed, but I can't remember if it was doing it before it got installed.

5. octeacher

octeacher

I too had loaded Sims a while ago (Sims Societies). I don't often shut down my computer completely and may not have noticed it then. I am only recently noticing the problem relating to the right click on my desktop though. Could it be one of Vista's lovely updates? I've rolled back a couple of weeks but it didn't help.

Other programs recently loaded: Audacity audio editor, and some Real Audio updates to play MP4 on my PC... I have since unloaded Audacity, and even uninstalledI-tunes.

6. Cell 2Dee

Cell 2Dee Thread Starter

It's nothing to do with The Sims, it got uninstalled yesterday and the errors keep coming up still.

7. octeacher

octeacher

I have decided to be a little more methodical. I ran MSCONFIG from the search bar under the Start menu. From there I unchecked "Load startup items" under the Selective Startup options (this is found under the General tab). After rebooting my machine the rundll32.exe errors have disappeared. So far I've worked backwards far enough to discover the NVIDA items being loaded at startup are causing the first two runtime errors (C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe) I haven't worked back far enough yet to discover what application or vista update may have caused this problem--so, even though disabling NVIDA solved the problem, I don't yet know if it was an update specific to NVIDA or another program that just affected the NVIDA applications adversely. I haven't figured out the destop error yet.

8. Cell 2Dee

Cell 2Dee Thread Starter

I disabled all the NVidia startup items, and it got rid of the rundll error. Thanks. You got any thoughts on the right click problem?

9. octeacher

octeacher

I'm still trying to update my NVIDA drivers and software. Apparently, I can't run the display drivers control panel for NVIDA either... another runtime error! My suspicion is that all roads lead back to the graphics drivers.

I tried the 169.25 forceware update from dec 2007 but it didn't help. I'm running the NVIDA 8400 GS card in my dell xps m1330 laptop. Do you have a similar system?

10. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    When one unistalls a program, it does NOT reset ALL settings back the way they were before the install.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702913

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice