1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Caching CD Data

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by FatherCrowe, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FatherCrowe

FatherCrowe Thread Starter

This is the problem I have:

On Windows Vista Business machine.
    I have created 4 identical CDs. They all have the same volume label.
    I'm not sure about any possible serial number that I have heard people talk about.

I became uncertain about whether they had all been created properly and decided to check them one at a time in the same drive.
    After doing a file comparison of the 1st CD against the same set of files on the hard drive, I put the 2nd CD in the drive and did the same file comparison.
    Instead of it taking a couple of minutes, it took about 10 seconds, which makes me think that Vista is caching the CD contents somewhere,
    and when a CD with the same volume label is inserted it assumes it is the same CD and just uses the cached contents.
    If I reboot the machine and try the 2nd CD again, the file comparison takes about 2 minutes again, which you would expect, since rebooting is going to clear the cache.

Although Googling this gave me a couple of people with the same problem I can't find any info on the caching, and in particular, on how to turn it off.
    I don't think this has anything to do with the "Write Caching" which I did find in the DVD drive properties.
    Does anyone know how to turn this caching off?

Many thanks in advance....:)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/912328