1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista can't see XP - LLTD download rejected by SP3

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by littlescarlet, Mar 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. littlescarlet

littlescarlet Thread Starter

Hi all this is by way of a solution rather than a question. I have been experiencing networking problems with my PC's running XP and thought maybe I would try again with my new PC running Vista - perhaps Microsoft had imporoved (bitter laugh here...)

I had a momentary leap of heart when all the PC's appeared on the network diagram but when I tried to set up the network the XP pc's disappeared! Vista helpfully informed me that the XP pc's needed to have LLTD responder installed and directed me to the Microsoft website for a download. If your XP comp only has SP2 I presume this works but as mine has SP3 it informed me that the download wasn't necessary. (Screams of frustration)

With me so far? To cut a long story short after numerous frustrating exchanges with Microsoft they provided me with the following step by step instruction which does actually work. Hope someone else finds this lessend the pain :)

Solution provided by Microsoft to install LLTD drivers:
    To install the hotfix “LLTD” to the system
    Visit this website:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=4f01a31d-ee46-481e-ba11-37f485fa34ea
    After entering the page, please click on “Continue” button before ” Validation Required”.
    After the validation page, a “Download” icon will appear before “Genuine Microsoft Software”. Please click on the “Download” icon to start the downloading.
    Save the downloaded file “WindowsXP-KB922120-v5-x86-ENU.exe” to the Hard Disk C (C:\).
    Let’s double click on this file to install this hotfix. However, since the system is installed with XP SP3, there will be a chance that the installation will fail.
    We assume the installation fails, let’s manually install this hotfix by following the steps below.
    ===
    Let’s rename the “WindowsXP-KB922120-v5-ENU.exe” to a simpler name e.g. 922120 and place it on e.g. C:\
    Click “Start”, and “Run”. And type in “cmd” and press enter to open the command console.
    Let’s type the following in the command console:
    cd c:\
    Then type in command window
    c:\922120.exe -x:c:\922120
    Files will extract to folder named 922120 and there will be a subfolder named “SP2QFE”.
    Inside “SP2QFE” we will find a file named “rspndr.sys”, please place it inside your C:\Windows\System32\Drivers directory. Also copy “rspndr.exe” to the “C:\Windows\System32” folder. And the “rspndr.inf” which is inside the subfolder named “IP” should be placed inside the hidden folder of “C:\Windows\Inf”.
    After we successfully copy these three files, let’s open the command console window again and type the following commands.
    cd C:\Windows\System32
    And then type the following command
    rspndr.exe -i
    You should receive a confirmation that the service is installed and by opening your NIC card properties you will confirm by reviewing that there is a checked entry for Link Layer Topology Discovery.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/812883

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice