1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Defender virus/malware on laptop causing problems

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by SigmaxPhi, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SigmaxPhi

SigmaxPhi Thread Starter

Hello there,

My laptop recently got a virus/malware known as Vista Defender by last week. I don't know what year the program is, but it looks like most screenshots I see on the web.

Now I did do the instructions given on most sites, which involve running on safe mode with network and stuff. So here's what I all did...

1. Run RKill on normal windows.
    2. Applied the registry fix for Vista Defender malware.
    3. Ran safe mode with network
    4. Check Lan if it was using a proxy network (which it did not, because it was not checked on Internet Explorer as far as I know.)
    5. Run Malwarebytes on safe-mode along with Hitman 3, SUPERAntiSpyware, Kaspersky Anti-Virus, and Spybot S&D. They DID found lot of results and I did removed/quarantine them.

Once I did this I restarted the laptop to normal mode. Well... it somewhat worked by not showing Vista Defender anymore... however...

Some things are still sluggish. Kaspersky, My Computer, and some applications may not function properly as well as other stuff. Which led me to look in the task manager to see what is possible causing this, and I found what I think is the problem. iexplore.exe (Internet Explorer process.) Apparently on boot-up of normal mode, 3 or more iexplore.exe processes are running after desktop loads up. By ending these processes some things continue to work on what they were previously doing (ex: Updating Kaspersky, cutting/copying files in my computer, etc.)

Randomly while browsing Google Chrome I may go to a bad site while googling, but Kaspersky prevents me to further advance to the site thankfully.

The worst part is when you end those iexplore.exe processes, they keep coming :(...

So my main problem here that I think is that the remaining bits of Vista Defender is still functioning. Help would be really appreciated!!

2. SigmaxPhi

SigmaxPhi Thread Starter

Well just wanted to come here and say the problem is fixed... ComboFix done the job to remove this iexplore.exe issue. Something like AppData/Roaming/WUIERI.dll it found and deleted it.

I used ComboFix on safe mode (no networking.) Then I disabled any anti-virus software/firewall, and edit msconfig to not run those programs on start-up (msconfig part is UNNECESSARY, but did it because I didn't know if it would run on start-up or not.) Doing this, the start-up avoided the iexplore.exe process on start-up and now laptop is running fine :).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083776

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice