1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista delete, XP and Linux move, and 7 move to #1 and larger

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jrbuergel, Dec 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jrbuergel

jrbuergel Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    I have a 500 GB hard drive from 3-2009 with Vista on primary 1 at 65 GB, XP Pro on the 2ND at 30 GB, and 7 is installed on my 3rd primary at 75 GB, and in the extended partition area are 2 Ubuntu Linux, swap file, and a couple of NTFS storage partitions which uses the remaining drive space. So I want to delete the old Vista and then either move 7 to that primary 1 after a temporary shrink to fit the 65 GB, or install Windows 10 on it, and then delete the 2 NTFS partitions and an older Linux to allow reducing the extended way down for more space for 7 if it is possible to move or copy partitions such as my XP and a Linux with a good partion tool such as the Gparted or Acronis Disk Manager. My NTFS storage areas are now empty so not needed, and I did create a exact full hard drive clone copy with Acronis True Image in a external enclosure connected by eSATA and my system does have the AHCI sata to allow hot connect. So any good suggestions for this?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 8191 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 76801 MB, Free - 22103 MB; D: Total - 66560 MB, Free - 13640 MB; E: Total - 30721 MB, Free - 13324 MB; H: Total - 20479 MB, Free - 20388 MB; I: Total - 114470 MB, Free - 114376 MB; K: Total - 218880 MB, Free - 218781 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P5QL PRO
    Antivirus: Norton Security, Updated and Enabled

2. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Why not just make a fresh install of W10 and when done partition your HDD and then install the other OS you want.

3. jrbuergel

jrbuergel Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    I really want to keep all my files, folders, data, and settings which I have in my long time used Windows 7. Also it can be lots of time and work to do a new install so that it ends up all updated with all my desired or needed programs installed as well.

4. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Then delete or format the partition you no longer need and install whatever OS you want in it.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Not sure what you are asking of us. My understanding is that you have done step one (cloned the hard drive so that you can always return to the starting line with no permanent damage done) and outlined what you want to do.

I think (but don't remember actually doing it) that if you shrink the extended partition that will effectively "convert" free space inside the extended to unallocated space outside of the extended partition.

I assume that your multiple boot is now controlled by GRUB 2, possibly for the non-Linux choices going to a Windows boot manager to select XP, Vista or 7. After your changes and installing 10 you will (I think) have a Windows 10 and 7 dual boot, and will need to figure out how to do a GRUB repair or install to get it back in control.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1201462

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice