1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Doesn't Always Sleep: Have to Reboot when this occurs

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by druindo, Apr 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. druindo

druindo Thread Starter

Hi there I've been having some issues with Vista on my computer lately, so, before I forget, here is the info from this site's SysInfo application:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9600 @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 7933 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M G, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 462234 MB, Free - 8237 MB;
    Motherboard: alienware,
    Antivirus: None (Please do not comment on this!)

Here's the problem I've been having:

Sometimes when I attempt to have my laptop sleep, either by going into the shutdown menu or closing the lid, the computer does not actually sleep, it simply shuts of the display, and leaves everything else running. I'm not sure it is actually shutting off the display, since, after this occurs, I am unable to get the display to show anything unless I turn the computer off. This problem does not happen 100% of the time, it probably only happens once every 4 or 5 times.

The problem does not occur if I simply let the computer run until it goes into sleep mode, which isn't helpful if I want to go to sleep myself, since the lights on my laptop are so excessively bright, which is, ironically, the only time this problem ever occurs.

I have tried a few solutions, such as setting the multimedia options to allow the computer to sleep, which, thank you oh so very much vista, was set to prevent the computer from sleeping.
    I've tried unplugging the laptop after the problem occurs to see if it will go into sleep mode properly, but this does nothing but cause my battery to run out while I'm asleep.
    I've tried using the shutdown menu to put it into sleep, which failed miserably.

Right now I'm trying a work-around solution. I went into power mode and set it so that my laptop won't do anything different if I close the lid while the power cord is in. I'll just have to make sure the light doesn't keep me up.

Thanks for reading.
    I look forward to your advice,
    druindo

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Not to get off the subject here, but is there a reason why you haven't upgraded Windows Vista to SP2 which was released in May 2009?

----------------------------------------------------------

3. druindo

druindo Thread Starter

:eek: Thank you for pointing that out! I actually thought I had upgraded at one point, I guess I forgot to re-upgrade after I had to do a system restore a while back. I tend to be a bit oblivious, so I didn't actually realize I wasn't on SP2. :)

I suppose I might have had a reason for not upgrading, but I can't remember what it is, so I suppose I will get on that soon.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1096110

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice