Vista doesn't see XP box in workgroup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mustangnut

The workgroup consists of a Laptop running Vista Home (wireless), and a box running XP Pro.

I am trying to set up the Laptop to be able to print to the printer that is connected to the desktop.

The desktop can see the laptop and its folders. The laptop can not see the desktop in the workgroup. The laptop is set to a private network.

Since I can not see the desktop, I am unable to map to the printer.

Thanks for any help with this.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Have you shared the printer on the XP machine so that Vista can see it?

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What firewall are you using on the XP machine with the shared printer?

peterh40

Peter
1.Make sure you have a user name and password (the same on both PCs)
2. Make sure you have included 'File and Print Sharing' is in included in the exceptions of the Firewall on both PCs (it is blocked by default). See Advanced options of the Local Area network connection.
3. Make sure both machines are in the same Network.

Mustangnut

Thanks for the comments, I have resolved this issue.

The solution was more complex than the suggestions offered, though thanks for them.

Ultimately I went into the services to see what was and wasn't running. There where a few items that had been turned off that prevented the Vista laptop from seeing the XP box. Once I turned them back on, all worked as it should.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online