1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista download and update problems

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by seanbees, Sep 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. seanbees

seanbees Thread Starter

I've just received a new laptop that works wonderfully except for the problem it has downloading chrome, java and most other things. I have tried downloadng different browsers but they won't
    work, all downloads completing to say they have failed due to a lack of a valid digital signature. Also, when it updates it only successfully does so 3 quarters of the time. When using IE it also prohibits visiting websites that it says don't work, but do. I have tried all manner of things suggested by forummers and cannot find anything, and it would be cruddy to give it back. Please help!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , 32 bit
    Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3061 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family, 448 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 57231 MB, Free - 31491 MB;
    Motherboard: MEDION, E5211, Not Applicable, 914EA01UK1G9240016CKS00
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
  3. seanbees

seanbees Thread Starter

unfortunately it didn't work. After 2 hours downloading I received this message:

This version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows your running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

How do I and should I bother doing this, or should I give up hope?

4. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    What kind of connection are you using for the Internet, dial up? This should not take two hours over Cable? Also, it looks like you might have selected the wrong file for your system to download. You should have downloaded the x86(32-bit) according to your spec's.

5. seanbees

seanbees Thread Starter

Yeah, it's a dial up. Thanks for the suggestion, I'm not sure which of the two I downloaded but I've now chosen the one you have recommended, just got to wait and see now... Appreciate the help!

6. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Do you have a friend that has Cable so they could download this for you on a Flash drive? These downloads are over 500MB and dial up is a rough way to go. Is your computer capable of wireless connection? If so, you should be able to go somewhere like a coffee shop and download these files quickly.

Here is a link where you should be able to order SP1 and SP2 on CD/DVD.

http://on-disk.com/product_info.php/products_id/977

7. seanbees

seanbees Thread Starter

Yeah, you can say that again. It's going to take 17 hours yet, so I think I'll take your advice to go to a friends first thing and download it instead. Here's hoping it works. Thanks for the link to buy the disks, but I'm not going to spend money when I may not even keep the thing anyway. Cheers!

8. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Good luck, let us know how it goes:)

9. seanbees

seanbees Thread Starter

Yeah, no surprises but it didn't work. I was told I didn't yet have service pack 1, after which I downloaded it failed on installation. I'm just going to have to give it back and keep saving for a brand new one. Ah well, thanks for the help anyways. I suppose vista is just crap.

10. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    I was hoping one of the Tech's would have come in here to give advice. If you would read my first post to you, you will see that I did say to install SP1 first.

Anyway, lets check one more thing that could be causing you not to be able to download and install anything it seems.
    Please click on Computer, then right click on C: drive, select Properties, select Tools, click Check now, and put a check mark in both boxes and click Start. You will get a message that Windows can't check while it's in use, so click Schedule Disk check and restart your computer. Disk check will then run before Windows starts up. This will take some time, so let it run to completion.

Let us know:)

PS, don't give up yet:) if this does not help, please start a new thread so one of the Tech's can give you advice. Not sure why they have not checked in yet, maybe they have been waiting to see how it goes:)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1017707

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice