1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VISTA Feeze & Chkdsk Stall

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by silverfire13, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silverfire13

silverfire13 Thread Starter

Problem, part 1: VISTA (home, premium, 64-bit) freezes when it's idle. Doesn't matter if I've locked the system. It freezes and nothing but a pushing the power button and forcing it off unfreezes the screen.

Problem, part 2: Trying to run chkdsk to ensure there is not a fault with my hard drive causing the freeze. Chkdsk gets to Stage 5, 14% complete, analyzing free clusters and stops at 41598 and will not move forward. Left it running for a day and it still has not moved.

Problem, part 3: I have restarted after chkdsk froze and the computer worked fine for several days. It is back to freezing when idle and forcing it closed. Upon reboot, several files were corrupt. Reboot fixed corruptions. Tried opening in safe mode. Started to go into Safe mode (black screen with list of items loading) and then went into a normal boot process and home screen. Running chkdsk again. Stopped in the same spot for Stage 5.

Can I force chkdsk to skip the bad cluster 41598? How do I fix the idle problem so I stop enducing errors when I have to force it closed and restart?

This is the second hard drive for this system in 4 and a half years.

Thank you for your assistance.

2. drmacpccom

drmacpccom

It sounds like the life of the hard drive is in jeopardy. You should backup your information before doing more checks on the drive. Since the drive came back with corrupted sectors, this means your drive is likely dying and you should consider moving all data to another hdd before trying to check the disc again as this could mark sectors of good data as bad, and the computer will no longer be able to access that area after it is marked as bad. Copying the data may take long if the disc is damaged, but it may still work to save your files.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090474

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice