1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista file sharing problem

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Cousin Jack, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cousin Jack

Cousin Jack Thread Starter

Hi guys, newbie (to this forum and to Vista) here with what may be a very silly problem.

New HP pavilion laptop preloaded with Vista Home Premium. After some minor hicoughs with wireless (not resolved, but that's another problem) I have set up the machine with 2 users, myself (with full administrator rights and a password) and my wife. So far so good.

On my user id I have imported all my files from the old PC (which was running W2000 Professional) and I can see them fine. Now I try to share them by giving my wife co-owner rights. Vista accepts this, goes away for some minutes and then then comes back saying "Your Folder could not be shared". From my user id the top level folder shows that my wife is set as co-owner, from her id I cannot see the files.

Help !

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    If you want to share with other users on the same machine or accross a network, you need to use the "Public" folder and post a copy of the shared files there.

3. Cousin Jack

I could do, but I don't want to make copies of the files, I want to share them so that either of us can access and update them. I should be able to do this, so why can't I ?

4. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    NOT designed that way, sorry.

5. Cousin Jack

Then why the f*** does it offer me the choice of doing exactly that ?

Sorry, but I think you are wrong, I can go down the Public File route, but the destructions make it clear that this carries a penalty in storing 2 copies of a file. The sharing alternative allows options of read only, or co-ownership, which allows the other user to read, modify & delete. Except that the sharing process fails.

6. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Did you follow the instructions found in the help under "Share files with someone"?

7. Cousin Jack

Yes, tried everything I can think of.

Turned off firewall, turned on file sharing, even set the wife's account up with a password. Still the same, everything from my side says that the files ARE shared, but from the wife's account I cannot see them.

I fear I may just turn User Account's off.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/608818

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice