1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista File Sharing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JPLamb, Feb 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JPLamb

JPLamb Thread Starter

Hi all

I have set up file sharing on my home network, i have 2 external hard disks that i am wanting to share over the network. currently the way it is set up a username and password of the vista computer (with externals attached) have to be entered to see the files. this is good for one of the hard disks but i am wanting the second hard disk to allow everyone to see the files with out having to know the username and password.

is there a way of doing this with the advanced sharing options?

Thanks

JPLamb

2. jmscomputertek

jmscomputertek Guest

You can modify password settings in Vista by going to the Network and Sharing Center.

3. JPLamb

JPLamb Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, i am wanting to make it so that it does not need a password for one of the shared drives but does for the other. don't even know if it is possible.

JPLamb

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Configure one of the drives permissions for Everybody and the other for the specific user you want to allow.

5. JPLamb

JPLamb Thread Starter

Hi all

Sorry it has taken me a while to reply, life has been a bit busy lately,

I have tries to configure the drives differently. one set to allow everyone and one set to only allow my user name. this has not worked when i open the view of my computer on another computer it asks me for a user and password.

i have turned password protection off in network and sharing center but this has not done anything.

is there anything else i can try?

Cheers

JPLamb

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/804798

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice