1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Folders to No Where

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by dhunt, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dhunt

dhunt Thread Starter

Vista keeps creating these folders with trees that go on forever and they have absolutely no files in them and when you delete them, Vista recreates them Why? And how do you permenately stop them?

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What are the names of these folders and Where are they being made?

3. dhunt

dhunt Thread Starter

The folders are: documents, desktop, links, etc. It seems to choose files that I use a lot. I will have the original with my files in it and then it creates these others that lead to no where. I have 2 computers a desktop and a laptop, both run the same version of Vista. I don't have the problem on my laptop, The only thing that is different really about the two computers is that I have 3 hard drives on the desktop, 2 internals and 1 external. I Checked to make sure that the 2nd hard drive was set as the slave, the pin position and the cable all show that it's the slave to the main hard drive and the external is allready designed to be a slave. I don't know what else to check for that might be causing this malfunction.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Can you provide a screen shot of this when it happens again?

5. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I had the same or similar phenomenon, they seemed like shortcuts in the same folders and noone else used the computer that could have mistakenly mouse gestured them into existence. They all lead precisely no where even though they pointed to an existing file and I could not figure out what all those extra files where doing but in my case once deleted they did stay away. I chalked it up to an update that didn't clean up after itself perfectly but I don't really have a objective idea.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755314

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice