1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Freezes During Boot

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Pinjarai, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinjarai

Pinjarai Thread Starter

Well, hi. First time poster, semi-regular lurker. How you doin'?

So. My friend's computer bit it last night/this morning (She's in EST, I'm in CST). She has a Vista laptop (32-bit, if memory serves) and we all know how deplorable that OS is. Problem is, I can't help her. I'm a novice at all this stuff, and no amount of Googling turns up the same exact issue. Even if it's close, it isn't exact and I'm stuck opening tabs to define terms I'm unsure of. So please bear with me here.

Right. A little history. Her computer needed its hard drive replaced about six months ago and the warranty is now up. It had been BSODing beforehand. This time things seemed mostly fine, aside from the usual Vista complaints. There was just one peculiarity: The Task Manager would not show up. Right-clicking on the task bar did nothing. Ctrl + Alt + Del did nothing. I was concerned, but said friend lacks the funds to get it looked over -- never mind replaced. And since the laptop worked well enough, I let it slide.

Until a few hours ago.

FireFox started acting up. It does this regularly on her computer for some reason, though most of the time we dismiss it because FireFox likes its hiccups. Anyway. I suggested she go into Programs and uninstall FireFox then go re-download it. Things escalated from there. FireFox froze and had to keep being closed. So it did the fade/semi-white screen thing and stayed that way. And since she couldn't access Task Manager, she was forced to restart.

This happened several times. I am not kidding when I say it must have been ten intervals of restarting.

Again, things got worse. Even IE was freezing up, and soon the task bar. Then everything would unfreeze for a few minutes and she could do a few things here and there. Then it froze again. This happened a few times until, eventually, it stopped unfreezing altogether. She couldn't access anything. So me, in all my novice wisdom, gave her some suggestion to try. It didn't work. She then turned off the laptop and started it again. At this point she attempted Start-Up Repair. Unfortunately, it froze while it booted. No amount of pressing any combination of buttons helped. And since it keeps freezing, I have no idea if it would boot in Safe Mood or not.

I don't have the model number or anything like that on hand, but I can ask. She also doesn't have a Vista disc (to my knowledge), which means no replacing the OS. Basically, I want to know if the machine is salvageable of if there's no hope.

I had no idea where to post this because I don't know what kind of problem it is. She's scanned for viruses and malware, but I know stuff can hide/not be picked up. Furthermore, you may need several programs because each one doesn't find everything. For all I know, it's the new hard drive or some program conflicting with another. Anyway. Like I said, I'm a novice here. I'd ask my friend who's knowledgeable (he has talked me through the registry on two different computers), but that is not a viable option at this time.

Any assistance you provide would be most appreciated, even if it's "This machine is no longer salvageable. I'm afraid she'll have to invest in a new one."

Much thanks!

-Kelsey

Update: Okay, well, today it lasted a little longer before it froze. She was able to use F8, and then it ran a disk check. I have no idea whether this is important or not, so I'll just post it.

Recovering orphaned fil pci.sys (5571) into directory file 260
    CHKDSK is veridying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
    11648 security descriptors processed.
    Security descriptor derification completed.
    2352 data files processed.
    CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    Repairing Usn Journal file record segment.
    403288 USN bytes processed.
    Usn Journal verification completed.
    Windows has made corrections to the file system.

15728639 KB total disk space.
    485014 KB in 9101 files.
    5704 KB in 2353 indexes.
    0 KB in bad sectors
    78595 KB in use by the system
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    10794236 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit
    3932159 total allocation units on disk
    2698559 allocation units available on disk.

Then it brought up the screen asking how she wanted to boot the computer. I told her to go with the last good known configuration. That didn't work. We haven't tried anything since. The computer is a Dell Inspiron 1545, by the way.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973571

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice