1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista freezes during installation every time

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by mmace, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mmace

mmace Thread Starter

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum, I've had a look around but can't seem to find a solution to my problem, I've also been on numerous other forums but still can't get anywhere!

I have bought Vista Ultimate OEM 32bit

Everytime I try to install it it gets to the same point and freezes (and I've even left it for 18 hours!), and that is when it ticks off its list of copying files, unpacking them etc, it does a reboot, the it says about it loading for the 1st time, then it goes back to the list and carries on with "completing installation" for around 30 seconds then nothing, it completely locks up

I've tried installing Vista close to 50 times now, below is a list of things I've tried, and I've usually done them in conjunction with other things on the list

Install from within XP to another HDD
    Install by booting from the DVD
    "Low level" format my HDD's (zero fill)
    have nothing plugged into my PC (internal & external) except graphics card, monitor & keyboard
    turn off most things in the BIOS (firewire, USB, audio, IDE (except the primary with the HDD and DVD drive), SATA, RAID etc)
    tried loading the Vista 32 bit drivers for the intel chipset & my graphics card
    tried various memory configurations with my DDR's
    tried installing to 3 different HDD's with none of the others plugged in
    tried 2 other PCI-e graphics cards (7300 & 7600) and even tried with no monito plugged in
    tried 2 normal DVD-ROM drives
    tried my bought DVD as well as downloading an ISO of the RTM from the web
    updated the BIOS
    tried rebooting after freezing and repairing and also tried booting into safe mode, both say that installation is not complete so cannot continue
    tried installing without entering a licence key

my PC specs:
    Foxconn 945P7AA-8EKRS2 motherboard (most up to date BIOS)
    Pentium D 3.4Ghz
    2x 512Mb DDR2 & 1x 1Gb DDR2 RAM
    GeForce 7950GT 256Mb
    onboard autio, 2x LAN, 8x USB 2.0 & Firewire
    4x internal HDD's
    Sony BWU-100A Blu-ray writer

any help or suggestions would be very greatly appreciated!

2. Crusnik

Crusnik

Is the hd you're installing onto a SATA hd? I've read that Vista has trouble with SATA during the install.

If you are using SATA, maybe try one of these two?

1) Load the SATA controller drivers for your mobo during the Vista install

-or-

2) See if installing on an IDE hd yields different results.

3. mmace

mmace Thread Starter

thanks for replying

All my drives are IDE, I do load all the drivers before attempting install, and this includes the SATA, RAID etc

4. jflynn2kx

jflynn2kx

I have the same motherboard and processor.... earlier tonight I ran into the same problem while attempting a 'clean' install of Vista Home Premium. Have you found the reason for it by chance?

5. mmace

mmace Thread Starter

yes, I chased it with the company I bought it from and they took it to the HQ in China who wrote a new BIOS for it that works with Vista, it now runs fine and I've even done a re-install with no problems

6. michaelhollis

michaelhollis

Where did you get the BIOS update and how did you update the BIOS?

7. mmace

mmace Thread Starter

I got it from the company I got my motherboard from (Novatech) and it came with instructions

have you checked the foxconn site to see if it's on there?

8. michaelhollis

michaelhollis

I see a BIOS update at the foxconn website, but it looks old so I was wondering which BIOS update version you have.

9. ange

ange

what partition are you trying to install vista to? If it is anything but the first partition, there seems to be an error. Thats how I installed my Vista

10. michaelhollis

michaelhollis

I installed the BIOS update from the Foxconn website and Vista is still hanging. Could you please send me the information to download the BIOS that you used that worked???

I am sure that it is installing the primary partition becasue that is how I set up the auto answer file.

Michael

11. michaelhollis

michaelhollis

I installed the BIOS update from the Foxconn website and Vista is still hanging. Could you please send me the information to download the BIOS that you used that worked???

I am sure that it is installing the primary partition becasue that is how I set up the auto answer file.

Michael

12. ange

ange

well...HP provided me a new bios update for windows vista. look at your computer manufacturer's website, they should provide you a new bios update. If they don't have one, then you could ask on the website.

besides, my bios is phoenix, so its different than yours

13. michaelhollis

michaelhollis

Got the BIOS update and Vista has loaded successfully on non-RAID dries. I would like to create a RAID 1 so I'll repost if I get it to work.

If anyone needs the BIOS file, I would be more than happy to send it

14. hiker13526

hiker13526

If you could tell me where you got the bios update, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm having the same problem :(

15. donkey1969

donkey1969

Hi guys

I have the same problem (same motherboard) - Vista keeps freezing after 1st reboot. If anyone can provide me with the latest BIOS to get me out of this mess I'll be extremely grateful. Thanks!

Mark

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541394

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice