1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista freezes for one user account only

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Amy1990, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Amy1990

Amy1990 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a laptop with Windows Vista and a few months ago my regular user account started to freeze for no apparent reason. Its happens a few minutes after its loaded up. I've waited and waited, but it doesn't start working again. I've restarted and it still freezes a few minutes in. It happens every time I try to use that account. My boyfriends user account works fine.

Rather than sort it out, I just created a new user account and brought all my documents over. However, today, whilst trying (and failing!) to bring my itunes library over to my new account, I went back to my old user account and it is still freezing. My new account and my boyfriends both work perfectly fine, its just my old user acount causing problems.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to fix this or should I just delete it? Also, I don't want to lose my itunes library and don't know how to bring it over to my new user account.

Thankyou

2. Megabite

Megabite

I would remove the freezing account...to find out why it is freezing could take a long time and still may have problems.

As for your Itunes ...when you say library do you mean the actual songs and where are they on the PC?

3. Amy1990

Amy1990 Thread Starter

Hi,

Yeah, the actual songs and they are all on my old user account. I tried to transfer them to my new user account but only the example songs transfered. I tried to open up itunes in my old account to see if all my songs were still there but it froze before I could.

Thanks

4. Megabite

Megabite

How big is the file?

And is it in My Documents?

5. Amy1990

Amy1990 Thread Starter

Well, its about 800 songs, I don't know how big that is. Its not in My Documents, it was in Music (on my old account), but then I moved it to Public so I could access it from my new account. Is that right?

Sorry I'm really stupid when it comes to computers, thanks for taking the time to help :)

6. Megabite

Megabite

My guess is that may be some of your accounts problems....the file is very large and your PC has problems opening it or you may have some corrupt files in there that your PC has problems with.

7. kenny111111

kenny111111

just a thought here, if you have time, you can put about 1000 songs on 1 dvd, then delete that account , transfer them to your new account...

my music folder is 4.7 gbs 1111 files, I have never had a problem with a "large" folder...(corrupt files?, maybe)
    have you tried the account in question in safe mode, may buy you some time as it will take about 5-8 minutes to move that many files to dvd..

just put a dvd in the tray, autorun should pop up, choose "burn files to disk using windows" once the disk is formatted, right click your music folder and choose send to dvd...

this all depends on how much time you have in that account...

good luck

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969699

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice