1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista freezes with "pink screen," unless in safe mode. Problem persists after factory

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jvlin, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jvlin

jvlin Thread Starter

Vista freezes with "pink screen," unless in safe mode. Problem persists after factory image recovery.

Windows Vista freezes with a "pink screen" and horizontal dashed lines. Sometimes after freezing, I'll get the BSOD and my PC will restart. The freezes used to happen about 3-5 minutes right after I logged in to my user account, but nothing happened up to about 5 hours yesterday.

Today, I wasn't even able to get past the login screen without freezing, so I went into safe mode, where I spent 2+ hours transferring the files I wanted onto a hard drive. My PC didn't freeze once. After I moved my files, I went and reformatted my windows partition of my hard disk drive with the HP factory image recovery.

But as soon as I finished that, before I could even set up my first account, my computer freezes (with the pink again). I tried going into safe mode, but it won't let me do that unless I have an account set up.

Help please! Thank you in advance.

2. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

3. antech

antech Banned

Most probably its a hardware related graphic corruption.
    Whats your model and make of the video card?.
    Reinstalling the drivers might help.

4. jvlin

jvlin Thread Starter

Graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce 8300 GS graphics card. I tried to install different drivers from the website before I did a system recovery, but that didn't help. I don't know how to install drivers now, since I can't even get into windows. =(

5. antech

antech Banned

Not sure, but....
    Its a Hardware related issue then
    Is you System still under warranty or any kind of extended warranty?

Try installing any other windows (like XP),if you have

6. jvlin

jvlin Thread Starter

Hmm.. if it's a hardware-related issue, would safe mode work perfectly fine? I don't know too much about computers..

7. cherriefalls

cherriefalls

Hope you dont mind me adding,But I too have had the same problem with a pinkish screen and freezing.I too took mine back to factory settings and did a full scan.I had to use safe mode for most of my file movements and my computer worked fine in safe mode even with networking.I was also thinking that if it was a hardware issue then would my computer wouldnt start in safe mode too?? Everything seems to work fine for a while then it will happen again.Did you ever find a solution to your problem jvlin? Once again hope you dont mind me asking as its now driving me mad..just when i think i have solved it ...it goes again o_O .

8. antech

antech Banned

Guess safe mode dosen't load the graphic drivers

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918468

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice