1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista freezing on startup

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Golden123, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Golden123

Golden123 Thread Starter

Hey, my computer has gone through a string of problems since yesterday. Firstly, it suddenly crashed so I had to turn it off via the power button. Following this, Windows would not boot and only gave me the options for Startup Repair or Start Windows Normally (which would lead to a black screen).

This morning I left it on Startup Repair where it was "attempting repairs" for several hours. When I next checked the screen showed "Configuring Updates 3 of 3 - 100% complete." I also left this for a while and the screen turned a black screen with a Windows Vista logo on it. Nothing was happening so I switched the computer off again via the power button and turned it back on.

So my current predicament is that now although Windows boots successfully (I think its slower than usual), it freezes as soon as the desktop appears. Clicking anywhere will cause it to freeze. Safe mode works usually, though the same problem has also happened there. Even a diagnostic boot with services disabled causes this as soon as I click anything on the screen at the desktop.

I've restsrted the computer so many times already and have no clue how to fix this without losing all my files. So any help is GREATLY appreciated. I have no System Restores that I can use.

As a last resort, would a clean install of Vista work? I have a disc. As I have 2 hard drives on my computer, would only one be formatted for the install? Basically could I backup everything onto the second drive.

Thanks in advance

2. cybersloth

cybersloth

1. Stop turning it off at the wall, this is bad for your HDD
    2. go into safe mode and scan your hdd for errors
    3. try using system restore

now windows vista is a bit crap and it is slow so when it takes 3 hours to finish updates that's just how long it takes, HOWEVER this also depends on your system specs, what are your specs?

finaly if you are going to go and reinstall windows think verry seriously about geting win7 because it looks like vista but it works properly.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914296

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice