1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Full Computer Restore

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by stephen_lacman, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stephen_lacman

stephen_lacman Thread Starter

Hey all,

I want to completely restore my computer to the conditions it was in when I purchased it from the store (Best Buy, I believe).
    However, I have a few questions before I do so:
    1) If I restore the computer, how can I do so in a way that I do not have to reinstall Windows? The computer came with Windows preloaded, so I do not have the disk, and I do not want to have to buy a copy of Windows to restore.
    2) Is there any way that I can do this without having to reinstall/pay for Microsoft Office? I do not want to lose Microsoft Office and be forced to pay for the license again (the disk I used was only licensed for a certain number of machines, all of which have been used)
    3) Any other helpful tips? :)

Thanks!

PS- I'm running Vista Home Premium, all SPs installed, in case that helps.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can reinstall Office using the same product key that was used the first time. You are not using a different machine.

If you have no disks, you probably have a recovery partition on your drive with the recivery image on it. What is the make and model?

3. stephen_lacman

So even if all the licenses are used, it will recognize that this is the same machine, and allow me to reinstall?
    My laptop is an HP Pavillion dv4 1281
    Thank you so much for helping me out here!!

4. yardmannn27

yardmannn27

I was told i could download recovery disk from this site for free . Vista Home Premium . Do you know how ? Thanks

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Open your own thread.

We do not supply any Microsoft products.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, you will still not have gone beyond the number of licenses, and when it activates, your machine's hardware hash will still be the same. In the worst case, you could call MS and tell them what you did, but I doubt very much that it will be necessary. You're not doing anything illegal and many people end up having to do the same thing. Remember that it's 3 machines, not 3 times to install.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm assuming your laptop is a HP Pavilion dv4-1281us.

Look at the product number on the sticker and confirm if it's NM038UA#ABA.

If it is, here is the support site for it.

It came with Windows Vista Home Premium SP1(64-bit) pre-installed.

The recovery disc kit for it is dated June 2009, so it's unknown if HP still has it available for purchase here.

If it doesn't, it's available for purchase here for $27.00 plus shipping.

It's a good idea to have the actual recovery disc kit available. If the built-in recovery partition becomes corrupted or damaged, or if the hard drive needs to be replaced, you'll need the kit to get going again.

---------------------------------------------------------

8. stephen_lacman

yes that is the correct model. i will consider buying the disk. how do i go about restoring the system from the partition?

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    System recovery

---------------------------------------------------------

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027026

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice