1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista gaming?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Southern_Smoke, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Southern_Smoke

Southern_Smoke Thread Starter

I'm using a dell laptop - inspiron 1520 with vista home premium 32.

When I first got the laptop, it ran Counter Strike pretty good. Now that it's older, I can't even enjoy playing the game because of lag. What is causing this problem? Anyone know?

Specs are: OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5250 @ 1.50GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2037 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family, 448 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 152624 MB, Free - 118512 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0KY767, , .JX9J2F1.CN486437A96778.
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

2. fodelement

fodelement

I would assume your talking about CS 1.6 as that laptop was not engineered to run Source. But to start, I would ensure all my windows updates are installed, as well as getting the latest video/chipset drivers for the computer.

Now when you say lag, do you mean when playing online the game lags, or even offline vs Bots its still slow. Because your should you offline mode for the base of all your test to rule out an internet connection as the issue. I would also give malware bytes a crack at it, as you never could be to sure if its malware or not. (n)

3. Southern_Smoke

Can you help me find the latest drivers for my computer? I went to Dell.com and was a bit confused because when I typed in everything, it gave me up to 8 options on some drivers. Do I download all of those or a certain one? Yes, 1.6 or Condition Zero.

It lags both ways. What do you mean by this, " Because your should you offline mode for the base of all your test to rule out an internet connection as the issue."

I also downloaded the free version of malware bytes and no threat was found.

4. Southern_Smoke

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

Most times when people complain about lag, it is caused by too many programs running at login. Run msconfig, and go to the startup tab. I would uncheckmark the ones that need not run, leaving the antivirus alone. See if that improves performance.

6. fodelement

fodelement

Like lunarlander said, check msconfig, to make sure you don't have a lot of programs loading at start-up. What I meant to type before, but clearly messed up badly... was that you should try playing the game while not on the internet. Like a game vs bots only, this will help us see if the lag is from your internet connection or the computer.

The two drivers I would update are these.

http://support.dell.com/support/dow...D=INS_PNT_PM_1520&os=WLH&osl=en&catid=&impid=

Go to video then select the very last one called nVidia driver and the one called Intel Driver, also located under video.

7. Southern_Smoke

Ok, I unchecked all of my start up items except AVG. I only see one driver under video and that's intel driver. I'll go ahead and download a that one.

8. Southern_Smoke

It says there are no files to download. Please go to Dell & Downloads to select files:

9. fodelement

fodelement

That's odd, I am downloading the files right now. And I see 7 drivers listed under the video tab.

10. Southern_Smoke

I might just start all over. If my I put my reinstallation CD in, will it wipe my hard drive? I'm hoping it does, so I can start fresh, again.

If I do do this, what is the first thing I should do?

11. fodelement

fodelement

IF you want to restore your computer then yes, that CD will do that. Put in the CD and turn the computer off. Turn the computer on and press F12 on the dell screen. Then select to boot form the CD drive. Make sure you have the drivers CD, as if you restore your computer with out the drivers CD. You need to get the drivers from dells site anyway, and use a different computer to do so as you won't have internet on your machine.

Alternatively; I downloaded the drivers for you and uploaded them here...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QR0MIAQI

12. Southern_Smoke

Ok thanks. Whats that link there again?

13. Southern_Smoke

I just played against bots and it ran perfectly fine. Should I still click that link and download?

14. fodelement

fodelement

The link is for updated divers, which can't make it any worse. But if it worked fine vs bots, its means your having networking issues. Make sure steam/CS is not blocked by any firewalls or Anti-viruses. For now, you could try disabling your anti-virus and try it again. (Online)

15. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

Hi,

I am bit confused about your post, at the beginning you state that you have “Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled” and later on you say you have AVG, do you have both still on? Or did you get rid of one of them?

As per the other suggestion from fodelement, you definitely should Install the Vista SP2, there has been a lot of improvements in this SP and it would add a bit more life in your machine.

Just my two cents worth.

Ray

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975963

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice