1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista hanging at startup

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by zan0107, May 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zan0107

zan0107 Thread Starter

Vista is hanging at startup after the loading screen (right when the mouse shows up)...it doesnt freeze because i can still move the mouse but nothing loads and i cant click or bring up anything(just a black screen and a mouse pointer) Wondering how i can fix this.

It happened after my computer hung up after i set it to shut down when it froze/hung trying to "safely remove" my external hard drive.
    So...
    1) it hung up trying to "safely remove" my External HDD
    2) i didnt want to wait too long so i closed the Ex HDD anyways
    3) then i clicked shutdown and then i left
    4) hours later i find my computer stil trying to shutdown
    5) I hold onto the power button to shut it off and then i turned it on
    6) The computer hangs at startup now
    forever...after a chkdsk scan and after leaving it on all night to see if it loads

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide.

2. olderairhead

olderairhead

Maybe try to boot from DVD and do a "startup repair" option from the installation disk

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Remove the external hard drive and any other external periperherals -- also see if you can get to the boot menu by pressing and holding f8 and try Safe Mode, Last Known Good Configuration or "Repair Your Computer" option there that should include available recovery options -- try those.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Check out startup to see what has to load before Windows can fully boot.
    "Run,msconfig,ok,startup"...most have way too much in there as all you need is antivirus, forewall and antispyware...no programs, no soundcards or video cards etc...

5. Dex101

Dex101

im having a similar problem, after install cellfactor i said "reboot now" and since then when i try to load windows normally it just sits at the loading screen with the green bar, i can run it in safe mode fine and after multiple restarts it will start normally but its really annoying.

6. GTZO

GTZO

I am having a similar problem, Vista just hangs in the loading screen. I moved all my files to another hard drive but need help in removing and re-loading Vista. How do I get my cpu to boot from DVD? Or even tryto repair?

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you have Vista DVD you can boot from it. Depending on your system you may have an option to boot from the DVD drive in the F12 menu if it is not automatically configured to so.

If not, you must access the BIOS and select the CD/DVD IDE as the boot IDE.

The Vista DVD should give you the option of doing a startup repair.

This option may also be available through your f8 boot menu if there is a "repair" option there, this is added I think by OEM vendors and takes you to a "recovery" environment.

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2006/12/05/windows-recovery-environment.aspx

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/579056

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice