1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista hanging, freezing, running very slow!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by huzzuk, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. huzzuk

huzzuk Thread Starter

Heya

I have recently bought Windows Vista Home Premium.

The installation works fine, all hard drives are found & Vista installs perfectly. (Clean install partition).

Once Vista starts to boot up, the first problem is the "System Performance Checker". The checker gets half way through, then freezes and the installation hangs. The check takes 30-40mins to complete.

Once completed, booting Vista backup.. it freezes and hangs on the Welcome screen for ages, eventually moving onto "Preparing Desktop" (which freezes for ages) & after bout an hour, kicks into Vista itself.

Vista is hardly usable as it is very slow & hanging all the time.

Any ideas?

Reading on some forums, some have said its the support of SATA II on Vista that is causing the problem.

Specs

AMD X2 5000+
    ASUS M2R32-MVP
    400GB SATA II HDD
    ATI RADEON X1950
    2GB DDR RAM

2. magtech

magtech

Sounds like a drive issue with SATA II check for a better driver or a beta driver from the MFG

3. huzzuk

huzzuk Thread Starter

Did think that!

My SATA II drive doesn't come with any drivers tho! Never needed one for WinXP

I don't know what drivers I require.

Any ideas?

4. winter667

winter667

Had a similar problem with 2 PC's at work. Dont know if the answer will be the same but still. Basically our problem was that the 2 machines that were slow hanging etc were x64 machines but were running the x86 version of Vista. Reloaded the machines with the x64 and they are fine.

Dont know if that will be any help but thought I would mention it just incase!

5. huzzuk

huzzuk Thread Starter

wat's the x64 & x86?

also I seen x32 :S lol

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  7. huzzuk

huzzuk Thread Starter

how do i install the drivers, if I cant even get into Vista.

Not sure if it is a SATA problem, cos the installation is fine, until the end when it just hangs!

Could it be a graphics card problem? :S

I never needed install a SATA controller with XP, dont seem have 1 for my mobo!

8. winter667

winter667

With regards to x64 x86:

x86: Originally this code referred to Intel's x86 series of CPUs (eg. 286, 386, 486) but now refers to the underlying architecture and instruction set that handles 32-bit integer operations in a modern desktop CPU (32-bit version of Vista in other words)

x64 is the 64-bit version of Vista

As I said may not be the cause but it was for us when we had similar problems.

9. huzzuk

huzzuk Thread Starter

Right ok.

Don't think the problem is that.

Must be somethig to do with driver/chipset!

I never normally have to install a SATA controller on Windows Setup, as it finds all the drives etc... so I didnt think I needed 1.

Never have to install a driver with WinXP!

Surely, it cant be the lack of support for my X1950 series graphics card?

I tried to install them in safe mode, when I eventually got in & it wouldnt let me install them for some reason.

10. TechB

TechB

Many Asus boards require a BIOS update to work with Vista. Check for a newer BIOS.

11. huzzuk

huzzuk Thread Starter

would that cause problems with slowdown?

Any link with the relevant VISTA bios on?

12. TechB

TechB

An incompatible BIOS can cause all sorts of weird problems. Once you are sure you have the latest drivers for your hardware the BIOS is the next spot to look when troubleshooting hardware issues on an upgrade. It was very common when XP came out and it looks like Vista is no different.

http://www.asus.com/

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=asus+vista+BIOS+upgrade&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

13. huzzuk

huzzuk Thread Starter

right ok! I will give it a go.

14. b_p4tel

b_p4tel

did it work???? cos the extact same thing is happening to me! tried installin vista like 4 times! it cant f9ind my graphics card to! i have very similar specs to u! please help

15. Evemaster

Evemaster

I'm getting the same problem, i have a AMD x2 64 4600+ same motherboard and i have a sata II 160gb with 2gb ddr2 and x2 ATI 1600 XT in crossfire

i get the same problem where i can install XP Pro and update with no problems but when i installed vista i got the hanging and freezing just like the others. Even if i did a uograde of vista it still hangs on the proformance test and welcome screen, even did a fresh install and same. I even try using my old 40gb harddrive IDE and still same hanging problem.

My last motherobard was a MSI RD480 neo 2, socket 939 and i haved installed vista on to that with no problems at all.

ANy help would be great as i want to use Direct X 10!!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540637

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice