1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista hanging on startup after update

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Dotte1839, Aug 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dotte1839

Dotte1839 Thread Starter

So, after a Vista update was installed, it just hangs on a black screen with a cursor whenever you boot it up again. The same happens when trying safe mode. I've seen several cases of this issue online, and I've done everything I can to fix it. I've tried safe mode, I've booted with a recovery disk, I've made sure nothing is booting before the hard drive, last known good configuration, etc. No dice on anything. The major hair pulling moment is that - unfortunately when trying to do a system restore, it tells me there are no previous restore points. I've read that's common as well.

Unfortunately I don't know the exact update that was installed, this is my cousin's computer and he's left it with me to fix. Fun times.

I read elsewhere that someone was able to fix this via renaming some files in the registry. Any thoughts on that?

If there's any way to fix the issue without starting over and dumping his files, it'd be great, I don't think he's the sort to have back ups of anything, naturally.

Thanks

2. Curly

Curly

Boot into the Recovery Console (or boot into DOS) and run the Check Disk utility. chkdsk /r

3. Dotte1839

Dotte1839 Thread Starter

Ah should've tried that before. No problems found - and no change :(

BTW although I didn't clarify, I can't get the task manager up when the black screen w/cursor is up. Didn't work with ctrl/shift/esc either.

4. Dotte1839

Dotte1839 Thread Starter

So am I out of options?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/849748

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice