1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Hard Drive in Windows 7 machine

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pmolsen1, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pmolsen1

pmolsen1 Thread Starter

My Vista laptop (Medion MD97310 bought from Aldi in 2008) died recently with a graphics card error. I purchased a new laptop (Medion MD98770) with Windows 7 pre-installed and installed the hard disk from the old PC in the new PC. I can read all of the data etc. no problem but cannot do what I want to.

1. I can boot Vista from the old drive by changing the BIOS boot order, but naturally none of the drivers work. It asked me for the location of the new drivers. I pointed it at the Drivers folder in the Recover (D: ) partition of the new drive. For each driver it searched for a while, found the driver, but then could not install it and gave some obscure error message. Am I doing anything wrong and should I expect to be able to install Win7 drivers in Vista? If not how do I get Vista drivers for the new laptop?

2. I know that I have to reinstall all programs (thanks Microsoft for this huge shortcoming in your operating systems after 20 years of complaints from users!) but I would like to be able to transfer all of my settings (favorites etc) automatically. I tried to run Windows Easy Transfer but it has no option for reading directly from a local hard drive. How do I do it? Can I just copy my entire user directory across or has Microsoft changed all of the file names and formats once again in its constant effort to make life as hard as possible for users?

3. I cannot find some of the directories on the Vista drive that contain my settings. I have enabled display of hidden files and system files etc. but the directories do not show up. eg. I cannot see the start menu directory:
    C:\Users\<myUserid>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Start Menu

I get as far as \Microsoft but there is no Start Menu directory in it.

4. I can see the All Users folder C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs but it and all others in ProgramData have a padlock symbol on them and say Access is Denied when I try to view them.

2. jamwaky

jamwaky

What I would do is...

Keep the HDD with Win7 pre-installed in the new laptop.

Make some recovery CD's to avoid complications in the future.

Get an external enclosure for the old HDD with Vista on.

Copy all necessary data across from the old to the new.

Format the old and use it for backups.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can't expect to install drivers from an operating system that didn't even exist when Vista came out into Vista. You will need Vista drivers if they exist. They likely will not exist if the new machine was never sold with Vista on it.

You need to take ownership of the denied folders in the permissions dialog.

Because Vista is on new hardware, it will need to be reactivated. If it came with the first laptop, it is likely an OEM version licensed to the computer manufacturer that cannot be activated on a different machine.

4. pmolsen1

pmolsen1 Thread Starter

Several of the questions remain unanswered. eg. how to copy settings etc.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029011

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice