1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista has different requirements?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Ziggy587, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ziggy587

Ziggy587 Thread Starter

I noticed now when I look up the system requirements for new games it has specs for XP then higher specs for Vista. For example, 2.5GHz P4 (or 3.0GHz for Vista) or 1GB RAM (or 2GB for Vista). It actually says it just like that, the Vista specs are in parenthesis. These are just examples though, not actual figures.

So why does Vista require slightly steeper stats then XP?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Vista uses more memory and has a higher standing CPU usage due to increased background tasks, self-diagnostics and repair, and the Aero theme.

3. Ziggy587

Ziggy587 Thread Starter

Wow, so thats all true, huh? I heard that Vista will run more programs in the background but if you start running a taxing program or game it will free up system resources, stopping background programs or at least use less resources. Is that true?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes. It uses scheduled tasks much more than XP did and most of them are set to run when the machine is idle, stop when it is used, and then continue when idle again.

5. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

To a point, Ziggy. Remember how Win98SE worked great in 256MB RAM? XP would struggle with that amount. Vista is another upgrade, so, of course, it will also need more.

Vista will kill a couple of processes to use less resources if it needs to. For example, Vista will stop the Aero theme, or pause the Deskscapes desktop, if it needs to. (It will always stop Deskscapes if a program is running in full-screen mode.

Courtney

6. Ziggy587

Ziggy587 Thread Starter

Ah, so no worries then. Thanks for all the info.

One other quick thing... What do you guys thing the bare minimum of RAM is now?

7. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Never did think much about it, I always tried using the MAX a machine could handle.

8. NIGHT5ER

NIGHT5ER

If your talking the bare minimum a computer needs to run efficiently I would say at least 1 gig.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

"Bare minimum"? That's not a goal most people strive toward :D

I'd say that the "optimal" for XP is 512 MB and for Vista 2 GB (with 2 GB ReadyBoost added). At least some tests with some apps seem to point there. XP will run on 128 (or even less). I haven't tried "minimums" on Vista yet.

10. NIGHT5ER

NIGHT5ER

Well I run Windows Vista Home Premium with 1 gig, i can tell if I wanted a little more power 2 gig would be perfect but yes if you have a good graphics card (mine is 256 mb nvidia) you should be fine with 1 gig. Plus I run major consuming ram games. When idle its about 50 - 67 % usage of ram during games usually 89 - 100 % of ram usage.

11. Ziggy587

Ziggy587 Thread Starter

Haha, well I'm not looking to run the bare minimum, I just like to use that spec to gage it.

12. NIGHT5ER

NIGHT5ER

Oh ya, totally, i personally want another so bad! but i need the $$ haha. what does ReadyBoot mean btw?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644500

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice