1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista has stopped reading SD Card

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by riz_, Dec 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. riz_

riz_ Thread Starter

I have two cameras, two SD Cards, and two notebooks. I don’t take that many photos so I don’t need to transfer photos to my computer very often. I have been using the same equipment for a while now, without any hiccups.

During the holidays, I took quite a few photos. When I tried to transfer the photos to my computer by inserting the SD card in the card slot, a dialogue box popped up asking me to format the card. It had never happened before. Every time I used to insert the card, autoplay dialogue box used to pop up. I removed the card and tried it again. Same result; dialogue box asking me to format it. I tried it in the other notebook, also running Vista Home Premium SP1 with autoupdate. Same thing happened. I tried the other SD card which still had some old photos and had worked fine in both computers earlier. That card failed in both machines too.

Both cards work fine in the cameras. Both cards used to work fine in my notebooks. Is it possible that a recent update has caused this failure? Is there a solution?

Both computers are on Vista Home Premium 32-bit with SP1 and set to automatic updates. Both computers have Norton Internet Security 2008. SD cards are:

- 128MB Kodak
    - 2GB Patriot Memory

Both cameras are Kodak.

2. carleman

carleman

I'm guessing that the solution is to use a usb wire between the computer and the camera and move over the pictures.
    After that you just format the card in the camera(so you get the right file system for the camera) and tests. Or if the camera have a built-in memory you can save the pictures there and then format the card.

3. riz_

riz_ Thread Starter

carleman, thank you for your reply. I appreciate your effort to solve my problem.

Let me update all of you. I have connected the camera directly to the notebook and have moved the photos off of the card. I have tested both cards on both notebooks installed in both cameras and connecting the cameras to the notebooks using USB cable. This setup works fine. So, there is no problem with the cards.

Now, when I insert either of the cards directly into the card slot on either of the notebooks, Vista acknowledges the presence of the card but considers the card unformatted, just as I stated in my previous post. This time, I decided to proceed with the format in Vista; I get an error message that “Windows can not complete the format”. Before you jump to any conclusions, I have verified that both SD cards are fine. They not only work in the cameras, they also work on a desktop machine running XP. I can format the card successfully on XP machine. The newly formatted cards still get recognized by Vista as unformatted. I formatted both cards in XP and used FAT as the file system.

4. riz_

riz_ Thread Starter

At this point, I am quite certain that a recent Vista update has caused this behavior. I am going to start uninstalling recent updates, one by one, and test the cards after each uninstall.

5. carleman

carleman

Hi!
    You can allways test that.
    Reply if it works.

6. Dadof7

Dadof7

Hello and new to this forum.

I had a similar experience this week with my daughter's 3 month old Gateway laptop running with Vista 64 Home Premium. The problem that she said was happening was that the laptop all of a sudden stopped recognizing her USB flash drive. She tried all 4 ports with the same resultant error message "Windows cannot complete the format". I then tried 3 of my own flash drives with the same result. I then tried them on my four other PC's running various versions of XP and they all worked flawlessly. I forgot to try and validate them on my laptop running Vista 32 bit Home premium. My best guess at this point was that the USB drivers and maybe others became corrupted in some way either by Vista update and/or daughter having to use this flash drive between laptop and college computers that are MAC's. Laptop had original Gateway 160GB HDD configuration of a 15GB primary hidden recovery partition and one large C: partition.

My solution was to perform the following (may be overkill): (1) I used the shrink utility in Vista to create a 60GB data partion and moved all data files to this partition, leaving the C: partition just for OS and Apps, (2) performed a clean install of the Vista OS, (2) downloaded and installed all OS updates except 4 optional HW driver updates, (3) defragmented partition C:, (4) reloaded all Gateway drivers from recovery DVD, (5) reloaded applications from recovery DVD, (6) Validated that all flash drives worked on all usb ports, (7) downloaded and installed remaining 4 optional HW driver updates, (8) revalidated that flash drives still worked in usb ports.

A bit lengthy and time intensive, but laptop now works and daughter is happy. Hope this helps.

7. carleman

carleman

I allso had a problem with my usb flash drive. When I bought it, it was formated to FAT32 and I wanted NTFS. To get NTFS I had to open device manager and select my usb flash drive and then check a box that said "optimize for performance" and then it said that i haveto use "Safety Removal Hardware" everytime before I removed the usb flash drive. So I did that everytime, but then I forgot one time and then the computer started to say that I needed to formate the flash drive and when I said "Yes" it got a error message and said that it didn't work.

So I went back to the store where i bought the flash drive and they gave me a new one.

So atleast for me it was that I didn't use Safety Remove Hardware before I unplugged it from the computer.

8. Jewlsqt

Jewlsqt

I also have Vista and my computer will read my sb card but it corrupts some of my pictures in transfer. I have tried to transfer pictures with usb from my camera direct and it does the same thing. I have only had this computer for a year and I have been having this problem the whole time. When I take my sb card in to Walgreens all of the pictures are fine. I even purchased a new sb card and it had the same problem.

9. riz_

riz_ Thread Starter

I had started uninstalling Vista updates beginning with the most recent ones. Well, that came to a screeching halt when I found out that you can’t uninstall certain updates once they have been applied. Lovely. Now, I have two options: either utilize System Restore facility to go back to a point before certain updates were applied or just throw in the towel and start with a clean install. I am leaning towards the second option at the moment.

10. carleman

carleman

Yeay!! WOHOO!! Thats vista. Vista FTW!! NOT!! :mad:

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/784937

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice