Vista hates my thumb drives

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pzh1

Hello
I have a Vista XPS 410. Since I bought it, every thumb drive I own (6 of them) bring on the blue screen of death. I plug them in (even brand new out of the packaging) , and it crashes every time. Similar thing happens with all three of my ipods. If my ipod is plugged in, and then I run itunes, it crashes. But if itunes is running first,then I plug in my ipod, it is fine. Unless I hit the "sync" button after and it crashes again. As for the thumb drives, they work fine in my laptops and work pc's. I plug in other usb devices like external hard drives, wacom tablets, etc and no problem. Even if I plug in my external usb hub, and put in the thumb drive, it crashes. U3 thumb drives dont crash right away. It is after I put in my password and it is accessing the info that it goes down. Yet if I boot up my pc with the thumb drive already in: no problem.
I have been on with Dell numerous times and no help. I have updated all the drivers, the bios, and installed sp1. SP1 did not stop the crashes, it just changed the error message. It went from the "irql-less-not equal" or something like that to a completely different one Does anyone have any other ideas I can try out?
p.s. This has happened since I first got it, before installing most of the usb devices I own, so it doesnt look to be a conflict.
Thanks

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
It sounds as though the motherboard/usb drivers have not been installed (properly).

... and if Dell support couldn't figure this out - they should have sent you a replacement computer.

Try the mobo drivers thou... but if it still doesn't work, demand that Dell replace the computer... and that it has this error since you got it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts