Vista hb cpu usage spikes then drops to 0%

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

GREENRAGE

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif, sans-serif]Am not sure if I'm posting in the correct area, if not please suggest/or reroute my submission to the correct subheading. I've attempted to resolve this cpu usage problem with little/no success. A few months ago I noticed my system freezing, stalling and video streaming and playback would stutter, freeze and or stall with latency issues in abundance. I also noticed Windows Task Manager at start up revealed: Processes = 61, CPU = 0%, Memory= 41% I've vacuumed the system exhaust vent and use a house fan to assist airflow. Though I read many possible solutions, most were a bit more complex than I am comfortable with or were for XP or Windows 7.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif, sans-serif]Am not a gamer. I've ran numerous a/v, systematic defrag, registry, junk file, etc scans. I don't know how to “shut down” or turn off processes nor reduce the cpu usage which in some cases red line. Any and all assistance is appreciated and gratefully accepted. PS: Am a beginner at this so please go easy on me! :([/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif, sans-serif]Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2[/FONT]
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif, sans-serif]OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic, 32 bit[/FONT]
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif, sans-serif]Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 540 @ 1.86GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 22 Stepping 1[/FONT]
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif, sans-serif]Processor Count: 1[/FONT]
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif, sans-serif]RAM: 1013 Mb[/FONT]
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif, sans-serif]Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family, 320 Mb[/FONT]
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif, sans-serif]Hard Drives: C: Total - 33160 MB, Free - 10124 MB; D: Total - 33155 MB, Free - 18576 MB;[/FONT]
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif, sans-serif]Motherboard: Acer, Volvi2[/FONT]
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif, sans-serif]Antivirus: Lavasoft Ad-Aware, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled[/FONT]

Howdy,

Have you opened task manager and click on Processes tab and see what is taking up the most memory usage?

I would get a free A/V like Microsoft Essentials or Avast and try removing Lavasoft

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 540 @ 1.86GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 22 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 1013 Mb
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family, 320 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 33160 MB, Free - 10124 MB; D: Total - 33155 MB, Free - 18576 MB;
Motherboard: Acer, Volvi2
Antivirus: Lavasoft Ad-Aware, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled
Windows Vista needs to be upgraded to SP1, then upgraded to SP2, then a scan done at Windows Update so the post-SP2 important/recommended updates can be installed.
An outdated Windows operating system lacks security enhancements and fixes and exposes your computer to infection.
It also prevents certain programs from installing or updating.

Another 1 GB(1024 MB) of RAM needs to be added.
Windows Vista is memory-hungry and needs 2 GB(2048 MB) or more of RAM.

--------------------------------------------------------

GREENRAGE

Megabit:
I have opened task manager and have observed multiple items using Memory (Private Working Set). I don't know how to "shut down" or close off these processes w/o making things worse (I'm a novice at this stuff). Besides, were I able to shut down a power hungry system; wouldn't rebooting just "turn it on" again? Concerned about the possiblity of a bug; I've used Super Antivirus, Ad-Aware, Advanced System Care to date on Supera/v has located MUI's, ASC has found Privacy issues. Per your suggestion I removed Lavasoft and will try Avast. Microsoft Security Essentials has caused problems and will not be used again on this current system.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online