1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Home Premium and BAD nVidia drivers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Networker4321, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Networker4321

Networker4321 Thread Starter

I build a lot of the machines I have for folding ([email protected]_stanford) and my very first baby is breaking my heart. Last Wednesday, Windows Update had a non-critical update for nVidia GTX250. So, i downloaded then installed but noticed some screen flicker in animated sections of web pages. I started to roll the driver back and that's when I noticed the GTX whereas I actually had forgot, that machine has a GTS250. So, Monday night, off to the real nVidia download site and pulled the upgrade for my GTS250. Same screen flicker.

Yesterday morning I grapped that first cup of coffee and headed to the PC in my home office and the screen was black. I did the nasty and held in the power button for 6 seconds and restarted the machine. I did NOT hear Vista boot up, thinking that I would. Also, I run Network Magic on my 2 router 16 machine bridged (wirelessly) network and from another PC I looked at the dead PC and it showed no connectivity to the network. Then I noticed there was no light on the USB port expander dongle that hangs from a front of machine port.

I took the DVI connector up to the onboard DVI port and the only difference was the screen said to check the monitor cable, it also comes up with NO signal, going to sleep when I turn the power on and off on the monitor alone.So, I pulled out a 6 foot VGA cable and tried that from the 21" LCD HP monitor to the onboard VGA. No change. Tried another flat screen monitor, no change.

Took all connectors loose and removed the side panel. Lot of grey dust back in there, completely covering the two round vents. But I had two big jobs running over the weekend and checked internal temps on everything with my CUpid utility, nothing over 40 degrees centigrade. I don't even do any overclocking, I just like to keep an eye on things. It's an Antec Cooler Master case anyway.

So, what do you think I am looking at here? I don't think the CPU is gone, I would get something on the screen. I don't think it's the PSU 'cause it's a 750 Watt Rosewill.

I keep coming back to the drivers and now, I don't think I uninstalled the other driverss when updating. Could that keep a machine from booting at all?

Gals and guys,,,,,whaddya' think? Is there a key sequence I can hold down while booting to get me to Safe Mode? Is there a function key to get me to the setup screen or even DOS?

Help! This is my first born and it's only 8 months old.

Thanks,

2. TekTime

TekTime

Making changes of any kind to a video driver in Windows, would not affect a computer posting/booting at all. What would be affected is after posting, when the computer begins to load Windows.

It seems as if your problem is related to something else.
    I would first start with making sure everything is connected and seated properly on the mobo (video card, RAM, drive/power cables etc).

Next, are the fans spinning at all, hard drive lighting up etc, or is the PC entirely "dead"? If the CPU fan spins and you notice hard drive activity then the problem could be your mobo (BIOS corruption or physical mobo damage), or even bad RAM chips or slot(s).

Your CPU could fail, and you wouldn't necessarily have to see anything on the screen at all.
    The best way to troubleshoot in your case is to swap whatever hardware components that you have a "good spare" of, and go from there.

3. Networker4321

Very thorough answer, thank you. I unseated the GPU and switched the DVI cable to the on noard GPU. Also checked the seating of the mem and all cables The machine came up with the normal opportunities as always si I allowed it to just letting it boot normally. What a relief.

So now, I have the choice of going back to the 4/10 restore point and reseating the original GTX 250 or, loading the other GEFORCE Series 5 card and trying that. Would you take the restore point/ re-seat of the card or,,,?

Thanks for the help!

4. TekTime

TekTime

You're welcome.

I would suggest install the Series 5 card and see what happens. I try to use restore points as a last option.

5. Networker4321

Thanks Tek Time. I installed the El Cheapo card and everything works. Then I put the GTX250 under some scrutiny, (under the lamp and magnifying glass) and found what I be;ieve to be a burn spot on the circuit board exposed side. About the size of the metal part on top of a #2 pencil it is under what I count as 12 or 13 pices of VLSI components.

Oddly, this "spot" is right next to a screwhead that goes through the ckt bd and holds the fan area down. There is a spring on the screw and it was loose maybe 1/4 turn. Alas, though I have an ohm meter I don't have the schematics and doubt if nVidia would release them,,,,:confused:

Problem solved, thanks TekTime.

6. TekTime

TekTime

You're welcome! :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916909

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice