1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Home Premium (Upgrade)

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Sunbuff, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sunbuff

Sunbuff Thread Starter

After using Vista to upgrade from winXP (which went without a hitch), I immediately sent two e-mails and received three downloads from Microsoft at the same time which then advised me to restart the machine, which I did and since then Vista has refused to load. I get an error message i.e. ''Windows failed to start because the registry is missing or is corrupted''. During attempts to find the answer I discovered that neither the BIOS nor Device Manager can find the HD which is a Maxtor SATA disc model 6V300F0. I was on the phone to Microsoft support and they came to the conclusion that I needed to install the drivers for that model. I have looked at the Maxtor website but cannot find such a thing. In the meantime I have fitted a second HD, this time it is an IDE and installed Vispa on that. This works fine and enables me to get on line.
    Any help will be much appreciated.
    Sunbuff.:mad:

2. buddythedog

buddythedog

Nothing you do with Windows will prevent BIOS from seeing your hard drive. How are you getting into Device Manager if Windows won't load?

3. Iain1979

Iain1979

I Had that problem it one of micosoft update playing up cos i reinstalles and happens again but when i dopnt do updates it fine. Just download all the updates you really need. It only happen if you have raid your harddrive

4. Sunbuff

Sunbuff Thread Starter

I should have mentioned that since the problem with the SATA disc, I connected up a spare IDE disc and installed Vispa on that, this at least has enabled me to get online.
    Thanks for your interest,
    Sunbuff.

5. Sunbuff

Sunbuff Thread Starter

I see where you are coming from Ian but considering the number of security leaks that there have been, I am not sure that ignoring MS upgrades is a wise policy and is a bit like shooting yourself in the foot. Maybe I am lucky, but over the last ten years or so I have never encountered any problems with any MS downloads.
    Regards,
    Sunbuff.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542283

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice