1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Home Premium vs. XP for gaming.

Discussion in 'Games' started by MrRandomer, Mar 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MrRandomer

MrRandomer Thread Starter

Just bought a new PC, haven't recieved it yet hence why I am asking this question.
    The spec is:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
    8600gt 512mb
    2gb DDR2 RAM
    400gb HDD
    Litescribe DVD/RW

I'm planning on playing games such as Call of Duty 4, Company of Heroes, Supreme Commander and older games such as No One Lives Forever, Warhammer 40k Dawn of War, Call of Duty 2, Battlefield 2 and Evil Genius.

What Operating system would be better to install for the above games?
    What Operating system is safer?
    Is Vista really the RAM hungry monster it's said to be?
    Is Direct X 10 really a viable option with my graphics card?
    Are all these games compatible with Vista?

Thanks,
    MrRandomer.

2. andres_sz

andres_sz

first ill have to say that Vista has alot of incopatibilities with applications. but you could try to get the servicepack1 and that MIGHT solve the problem. XP is a viable option but some games require servicepack2 installed. I would recommend XP since i saw (but didnt read) an article on PC Mag that said "XP is still the king" and i really trust that magazine. Try to read more replies before you decide though.

3. kymsheba

kymsheba

Hi Mate,

VISTA is a better platform for the new games without a doubt everything is faster, smoother and graphically better (DIRECTX 10 is only available for VISTA so keep that in mind) no doubt about it as long as you have the hardware it requires, i switched from XP which i was verry happy with but am totally blown away with VISTA.

True some of the older games have problems running but you normally can get them working without too much problems simply by running the games with ADMINISTRATOR rights will fix most compatibility issues in about 80-90 percent of games.

I would recommend you goto 4gig of ram as VISTA is ram intensive but with good reason the benefits far outway the drawback and seeing as RAM is so cheap it really is not a problem.

And yes your graphics card will run DirectX10 games no problem i have the GeForce 8500 512mb card and it runs Direct X 10 games with no problems (Flight Simulator X with latest patches lets us see Direct X 10 in action and mine runs this smooth as butter and this is the most intensive game on the market for graphic demand) ... but as they say the bigger the better for computers so yes your games will play no problems nicely but when you can do as i am going to do and buy the latest card out on the market when you can.

Hope this helps mate and don't believe all the bad things you hear about VISTA they are not true as long as your machine meets the specs required you will love the new operating system it is more stable and if anything ever does go wrong which is virtually never you dont have to do anything it fixes itself it really is a large step forward.

cheers
    kymsheba (mike)

4. max63094

max63094

When i had a vista pc i returned it because i counld not play any of my older games. So i went to Xp when i got my new pc. Well sinced then i had no problums. Also vista is a ram sucker.If you are running vista atlest have 2GB. If youlike vista but you want to play the older games you can also but booth XP and Vista on it but u will have to incress the ram to 2GB. :)

5. Vanquish07

Vanquish07 Banned

Personally I see no real reason to go from XP to Vista, I dual boot so I have both but i would never give up XP for vista, games may look better under directX 10 but will run slower which is why alot of vista gamers run games in directx 9 anyway! I play Crysis, Call Of Duty 4, UT3 and other recent games on max settings and they look amazing on directx 9! Also vista will make your PC slower in general because it wastes so much RAM on running unnecarsary background processes, and you will probably have compatibililty issues with almost all of your old games! XP is faster and better for gaming.

6. kymsheba

kymsheba

Are you crazy where are you getting your facts from or are these just your opinions!!!!!

QUOTE: "...games may look better under directX 10 but will run slower which is why alot of vista gamers run games in directx 9 anyway!..."

Well for one CRYSIS uses DirectX9.0c and not DirectX10 so saying directX9.0c runs faster than DirectX10 because your machine runs it fine is absurd you have not tested a DirectX10 game in relation to it running as DirectX9.0c.

An example is when Flight Simulator X was released it was only using DirectX9.0c but had support ready for when DirectX10 was ready, now after the Patch for Flight Simulator X was released it switched it over from DirectX9.0c to DirectX10 in cards that could use and support it the speed and graphic benefit was a whopping 10-30 percent increase and for a game such as Flight Simulator X that is massive.

The reason a lot of people run VISTA games in directX9 is because the game your playing or your graphic card does not support DirectX10 that is why because they are forced to, there are only a few games out there that are using DirectX10 at this stage you do not get a choice to play a certain game with DirectX9.0c or DirectX10 it is either DirectX10 or if not available because of game or video card DirectX9.0c you don't get to choose which you want to run a game with.

Games that use DirectX10 run slower!!!! um NO they run faster than a graphic card that can only support DirectX9 hence the benefits of DirectX10 and you better get used to it as when support runs out for XP you will find by then that for the latest games that come out you are going to need a DirectX10 graphic card or you wont be able to play them.

7. Vanquish07

Vanquish07 Banned

I have a directX10 graphics card! But not specificaly for directx10! Just because it kicks ***! XP will be compatible with most games for a long time! And some people DO run directx 10 games in directx 9! Crysis is an example! Many run crysis in directx 9 to get higher frame rates! My pc kicks *** and i have both OSs so i dont have to worry about running any games for years! I mostly use Xp tho because everything is faster and better and more compatible! Except Halo 2 for the obvious reason that it NEEDS vista (unless you use simple tricks to run it in xp).

8. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

I would say Vista. XP is an old OS, and support will sonn be lost. Games run fine in Vista, I find more run in it than XP. As for a safer OS, again Vista, if for no other reason than it has continued MS support and therefore will be updated, unlike XP for which support WILL be lost at some stage.
    As for XP, yes, great systwem, but its old now. For all those on XP, why did you change to it? What was wrong with Win 98? Please remeber that every new OS has is lovers and haters but gradually, the MS machine will run everyone over , one way o ranother :)

9. Vanquish07

Vanquish07 Banned

People changed to Xp because it looks modern and it did alot of new things such as automatically installing hardware and gave support for better game visuals. And it was ALOT more stable! Vista may look different (xp can be skinned quite easily to look better than vista) and it may have directx 10 but games still look brilliant on directx 9, i cant imagine any significant difference! Xp support will be lost eventually but theres going to be a service pack 3... not that it needs it! Xp is perfectly stable, maybe it is time for a new OS but they could have done alot better than vista! Also directx 10 can be installed on Xp without much difficulty, And in the near future it will probably be as simple as using an installer!

"What was wrong with windows 98?" Is that a serious question????? lol

10. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

When I say wrong with 98, I meant that whem XP came out, a lot of people didnt want a new Os, as 98 was fine for all they wanted to do, as well as a lack of driver support for XP. Exactly the same as Vista has now :) I was only pointing out that any new OS, regardless of how good or bad, will be looked at with suspicion, as a money grabber. In Vistas defence, I have had very few problems,. and virtually no BSODs.. the only times are when I clock that wee bit too high, and thats my fault :)
    XP will lose support before long, and Vista will gain more games, apps etc as time goes by- its the nature of the beast. We have to accept that a new OS comes out every so often, and MS will want to make money from it, which is why they discontinue previous support.
    For the record, I did use 2000, wonderful platform, and 98SE- it was good enough for me!! :)

11. Vanquish07

Vanquish07 Banned

Yeah i guess your right, thats why i have it in dual boot :)

12. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I use both and at this point I think both are fine platforms for gaming, though Vista needs more base horsepower to match performance demand. My bold statement is that Vista, even though it will be improved all along is destined to be the WindowsMe of its generation, especially if MS actually gets thier act together and produces an OS within two years that is a smashing improvement over XP (like Vista was intented to be). The improvement then will become obvious and I'll be leading the charge to switch over. Right now, the difference between Vista and XP is sort of like an uncertain but potentially talented nephew and the older uncle who knows his place and has hit his stride, but he ain't gettin' any younger either. We need the "phenom" to put all this talk to bed.

13. BlooChoo

BlooChoo

yeh to be honest vista might not be compatible with all games...but it is a nice shiny OS with some cool features...and the games that do work on it fly along jus as they did in XP...

14. Vanquish07

Vanquish07 Banned

Surely all games should run with the so called "compatibility mobe", i havent needed to use that because i can play those games on XP without the hassle.

15. skopas

skopas

Lets be honest here. XP is still the dominating platform, no doubt. WIll continue to be for the next couple of years. Vista is just to much of security box and requirements. I still see Vista as a nice Noble Fir, with pretty ornments and lights.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!