Vista - how to uninstall IE7 and Windows Mail?? please help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

catwalk4

I would like to uninstall internet explorer 7 and windows mail off my computer running with vista.

I have looked through every single page that has come up in google about this subject and none have an answer!

I want to have IE6 and outlook express, please let me know how to do this! I'm getting very frustrated and going back to XP will void my warrenty (which is the only reason I haven't done it)!

On another thread in here, Courtneyc said:
IE7 is not integrated into Vista (or XP). In fact, the whole reason IE7 exists is that Microsoft lost the lawsuit.
IE6 and below required the operating system to function, so therefore, can only be installed on XP or below. Vista cannot support it.
However, you can completely uninstall IE7 and install something else. You no longer need IE7 to do updates in Vista. It has an independent program to do that.

So is there at least a way to remove 'Windows mail' and use outlook express again? I hate windows enough as it is, now I can't even check my hotmail from OE...... grrrr. At this point I would even use regular outlook.

Any replies welcome, please help!!!!!!!!!

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
There is no way of removing these programs, they are part of the Windows Vista.

There is also no way of using Outlook Xpress with Vista. But you can install Outlook that is part of the MS Office world.

I think you will find out that IE7 can be uninstalled from a XP machine but NOT from a Vista machine.

You will also find that you need to have IE to use the Windows or Microsoft updates.

TerryNet

Terry
Microsoft integrated IE with Windows some years ago to kill off Netscape and any other competition. With Vista you get IE7; there will probably be a higher numbered IE later, but don't waste your time thinking about a lower numbered IE with Vista.

I doubt that you can remove Windows Mail, but, of course, you need not use either IE or Windows Mail. I also doubt that any version of OE will work with Vista. Isn't OE also integrated, not an independent product?

IE 6 is integrated in XP, you used to be able to get it from MS. You can use Opera or similar. I like IE 7 much better than 6 especially "Tabs", but that's my personal view. Outlook Express is also integrated into XP and Microsoft revert to calling the new version in vista "Microsoft Mail" to remove the confusion with Outlook from the MS Office suite. Sell you Notebook and buy one with XP is the only solution.

Windows Mail is so similar to OE, I don't see why you don't just use that. But there are lots of alternatives, like Thunderbird (which I use in Vista).

IE7 is part of Vista and you can't remove it. It is integrated with many other functions, But again, there are a lot of browsers out there. I use Avant in Vista and that works perfectly, as does K-Meleon, SeaMonkey, Firefox, and many more.

Just don't use the programs you don't like and find alternatives.

catwalk4

darn!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I'll just have to downgrade to XP, I've had a LOT of problems with vista so far and it's getting annoying. I know what I'm doing on a computer but vista assumes you are an idiot and will crash your computer or let hackers into it every time you turn it on so this OS is crap for people with common sense. I set myself as an administrator but ohhhhhhhhh no, vista likes to tell me I can't do what I want, I must be stupid, therefore, DENIED!

I begged for XP when I got my new laptop (dell) but they refused no matter who I asked.

Thanks for the answer everyone, I'm SOL, but I guess microsoft loves to piss off as many people as possible ;)

catwalk4

Windows Mail is so similar to OE, I don't see why you don't just use that.
you can't see hotmail from windows mail, you have to log in on the website every time. this makes it pretty impossible to sort through email.

unless...... you PAY for it....... then hotmail works on windows mail. wow eh? jerks, they have to squeeze every cent out of us they can!

You can't get Hotmail from OE any more, either. You still have to log in every time. It's not in OE any more.

No one asked you to buy anything. If you don't like it, return it.

catwalk4

You can't get Hotmail from OE any more, either. You still have to log in every time. It's not in OE any more.
No one asked you to buy anything. If you don't like it, return it.
thank you for your rude, unhelpful post. have a great day!

FYI - I check OE for my hotmail accounts on my old desktop with XP. As long as your hotmail came before the no OE rule, you can check.

And I can't return it, especially when I can just go to XP. I imagine you would also just tell me to return a puppy if it did something I didn't like too. Sorry but I'd rather try and fix the problem, thanks.

Hello what problems are you having with IE in particular and would that be windows live mail ...
I had real problems with that on my xp system

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
FWIW, Thunderbird mail has a WebMail add-on that allows you to receive email directly from places like Yahoo and Hotmail just like any other POP3 email account. I've been using it for some time with my Yahoo account.

thank you for your rude, unhelpful post. have a great day!

FYI - I check OE for my hotmail accounts on my old desktop with XP. As long as your hotmail came before the no OE rule, you can check.

And I can't return it, especially when I can just go to XP. I imagine you would also just tell me to return a puppy if it did something I didn't like too. Sorry but I'd rather try and fix the problem, thanks.
Your ranting will not help you with the problem. And even if you did manage to get OE to work, you could not use it for Hotmail any longer. You are welcome to try.

Windows Mail is so similar to OE, I don't see why you don't just use that. But there are lots of alternatives, like Thunderbird (which I use in Vista).

IE7 is part of Vista and you can't remove it. It is integrated with many other functions, But again, there are a lot of browsers out there. I use Avant in Vista and that works perfectly, as does K-Meleon, SeaMonkey, Firefox, and many more.

Just don't use the programs you don't like and find alternatives.
El I normally agree with you but WM is in no way similar to OE, though it is quite similar to Outlook. The rules setup similarly but the interface is really outlook and they removed the key features of OE such as identities, many message rules and most of all the address book setup on home page I really miss. I finally switched to outlook as I found WM such a bad copy of it, missing many of the features of it.

darn!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I'll just have to downgrade to XP, I've had a LOT of problems with vista so far and it's getting annoying. I know what I'm doing on a computer but vista assumes you are an idiot and will crash your computer or let hackers into it every time you turn it on so this OS is crap for people with common sense. I set myself as an administrator but ohhhhhhhhh no, vista likes to tell me I can't do what I want, I must be stupid, therefore, DENIED!

I begged for XP when I got my new laptop (dell) but they refused no matter who I asked.

Thanks for the answer everyone, I'm SOL, but I guess microsoft loves to piss off as many people as possible ;)
I am so glad you gave it a thorough try there. Just so you know, Vista runs just great if you get over your resistance to change and has a lot more future to it. You should be able to import older versions of Hotmail into Outlook incidentally, though I have never done it.
IE6 is old technology and Ms had to move on as too many other browsers which most savvy users are using today anyway have the features such as tabbed browsing that makes life so much simpler than IE6 did. Of course I never use IE 7 except for Windows Updates and you might try Thunderbird, the email program for Firefox browser that has all the features you are missing. You need to look around, perhaps read other posts before condemning and pointing fingers as it isn't money nearly as much as it is the advance of technology that allows for change and at times demands the changes. There were those who posted the same rubbish about the very XP you are now defending, but the verdict is out and Ms has a right to make money you know, so does any business. otherwise how would they pay for the support necessary to protect you through free Windows Updates?

El I normally agree with you but WM is in no way similar to OE, though it is quite similar to Outlook. The rules setup similarly but the interface is really outlook and they removed the key features of OE such as identities, many message rules and most of all the address book setup on home page I really miss. I finally switched to outlook as I found WM such a bad copy of it, missing many of the features of it.
I'll certainly have to defer to you on this one since I never really gave Windows Mail a chance before starting to use Thunderbird. My only reason for pointing out the similarities was something I read in another forum that I did not check myself. I thought that identities still existed, but I was actually thinking of Thunderbird there, too, and from what you say, it may be that Thunderbird is more similar to OE even than Windows Mail.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online