1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista installation and then reboots

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by gian0819, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gian0819

gian0819 Thread Starter

hi. i'm currently using Windows XP pro sp2. i decided to change it with windows vista so that i can hav my pc a new look. my system is 2.66ghz intel celeron. i have 512mb of ram and nvidia geforce FX5500 256mb HDD 80gb and 20gb. i used the 20gb for XP media center edition.

im installing vista in place because i do not have a dvd burner. so i began with the setup and at first it went well. and after 4 long hours, it finally reached the "completing installation"stage. since it was too long again to wait i decided to leave the computer. and when i returned the screen showed choices on how to start vista. its the one with safe mode, safe mode with networking last known good configuration and start windows normally. from then on i feel that there is something wrong because that screen should only show up when windows has not successfully booted up. so i chose start windows normally.i saw the green progress bar but after that, the screen goes blank and the reboots. and when it reboots, shows again that windows has not started up correctly. and then i chose safe mode. it booted up but said that installation cannot be completed in safe mode and needs to reboot.i still haven't rolled back the installation.

what will i do?tnx in advance!

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    This must be a UPGRADE install, and 512 is NOT enough RAM, you need at least 1 GIG if not 2.

Did you run the Vista Upgrade adviser, before doing this install?
    What external devices do you have attached?
    What programs and utilities do you have installed at the time if Vista upgrade?

3. gian0819

gian0819 Thread Starter

yup. i did. it said that it can run vista home premium so i then continued on the installation process.

i have an external cd writer.

i have programs such as deamon tools, magic iso, nero but i uninstalled it because the installation of vista cannot continue if it remains in my system. i have many programs and utilities..

4. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

As DaveA says, 512 won't do it. It may run but you will be disatisfied with the performance.
    Also, from what you say, you did the upgrade over an existing XP? This seems to always give trouble. I would suggest you partition your HD into a 50/30 with one or other of the safe partitionng softwares and save your private and needed files to the 30 partition.and then , during the Vista installation, reformat the 50 and continue with the install

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643793

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice