1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Installation-BOOTMGR is missing

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by earlyno1, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. earlyno1

earlyno1 Thread Starter

I just built my own system, checked the BIOS everything as it should be and started loading Vista got about 60% through expanding files then came up with an error message and had to restart it, now it doesnt get as far as booting or installing and just comes up with BOOTMGR is missing press CTRL + ALT + DELETE to restart. Is my motherboard duffed or is it because Vista partly installed or is something else. What should I do?

2. Skyie

Skyie

I had the exact same thing happen here at work when wanting to put Vista on a older machine for eval. I ended up re-installing XP and found that my Vista disk (burned for me by one of the IS guys) was corupt. Something about md5checksum??? Way over my head... Anyway, once reinstalled, the laptop was fine. Just need to get a good disk to try again..... Skyie

3. jake0718

jake0718

Your mother board is fine. It is in the install. I can walk you though how to rebuild the bootmgr but I do not know what that would do for the install. I will do some research into it and get back to you ASAP. Unless someone else knows the answer to that one.

4. earlyno1

earlyno1 Thread Starter

So if it isnt the motherboard am i able to get my hard drive formatted and then start again?

5. MMJ

MMJ Guest

Burn a new vista cd then install it.

6. jake0718

jake0718

Do you still have xp on the box at all?

7. earlyno1

earlyno1 Thread Starter

No, I just put this system together, there is no OS installed yet. I can't manage to get as far as being able to try installing vista again as after the screen where it says press DEL to enter setup or press F1 to continue, it just comes up with BOOTMGR is missing. cheers jake

8. MMJ

MMJ Guest

Where did you get the vista dvd from? Did you get it already burned or did you get the iso file?

If you got the iso file then burn it again, then try to install windows.

9. platiniosolido

platiniosolido

I had the same problem, and what I did was press f8 at the x86/x64 selection screen and chose to run the installation in safe mode, after that all was fixed.

10. chart2006

chart2006

I purchased an OEM copy of Vista and came accross the same issue. When it came in i tried installing it on my custom built system. I tried the install after reformating the h.d. at least half a dozen times. When it would go completely through the installation i needed the install disk in the drive in order for the windows to load otherwise i still received the 'bootmgr is missing' message. I tried having the company i bought the oem version from send me a 'copy' of another and still the same problem. what's the deal? is it oem issue? my computer? i've tried it on multiple hard drives since i've got 3. Blue screens/'bootmgr' problems all the time. i'm getting frustrated beyong belief.

11. Skyie

Skyie

I gave up on the process and just bought a new laptop with Vista installed. Since it's a work provided laptop, it wasn't that big of a deal for me. However, when the time comes to convert our existing users over to Vista, that version of laptop is in use by a number of users... I'll have to look further into a solution towards the beginning of the year, or I'll have a major mess on my hands. If things go as I would like, everyone will simply get a new laptop..... however, in the real world, that won't happen. Skyie

12. comp guy

comp guy

i have the same problem. booted up my new computer, tried installing Vista, but Bootmgr was missing. Try unplugging the SATA plug, put in the disk, then vista should start to run. then plug it back in so you can start installing.
    trying right now

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537965

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice