1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Installation Hangs on 2nd Reboot 'Press Any Key'

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by scubapro25, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scubapro25

scubapro25 Thread Starter

Hi,

Here are the hardware basics:

eMachine T2742

AMD 64 bit Processor

3 Gigs RAM

2 SATA HDDS

Problem: Attempting to install Vista on 1st partition of first disk.

I'm fairly experienced with computers, regularly dual-booting with Linux and Vista, with never any problems, so I'm rather embarrassed to report this problem.

I have two partition on the main drive: one was my C: Drive for Vista and the other was a 95 gig parition I was using for Suse Linux. The dual booting arrangement worked fine until yesterday.

I decided that I wanted to replace Suse Linux with PC-BSD, a user friendly version of BSD.

So, I inserted the PC-BSD DVD into my CD ROM drive, rebooted and proceeded with the PC-BSD installation on the Suse [2nd] partition [Disk 0, Partition 2]--erasing it and the replacing it with the BSD.

Upon reboot, I found that PC-BSD didn't like my nVidea graphics card and would not work with it. I just got a stream of numbers in place of graphics.

OK, no problem, I thought: I'll just insert the Vista Home Premium disk and erase the BSD OS/partition and restore Vista; then, I can re-install Suse Linux on the second partition.

Upon inserting the Vista disk, I did the 'Clean Install Workaround' for Upgrade versions of Vista, which is to reboot and go straight to 'Custom Installation' without inputting the Vista Key until later. Here, you select the partition you want to install Vista to [it would have been the original one: disk 0, partition 1, ie: the original C: Drive] and let it overwrite any remaining boot files from Linux or BSD.

Well, long story short, it appears that PC-BSD had not only overwritten all my MBR, but also trashed the C: Drive partition.

Vista appeared to format the C: Drive and install Vista files, but upon the mandated re-boot, simply goes into a close loop of re-booting into the 'Press Any Key' screen without ever returning to the installation.

Now, I've tried just about everything at this point: booting into DOS in the Vista installation DVD and running FixMBR, Fixboot, CHKDSK /f, you name it, I've tried it.......all to no avail.

Any suggestions on how I can get Vista out of the closed loop of 'Press Any Key' and back into the installation itself?

I'm almost ready to resort to re-installing XP with the one of those horrible 'recovery disks' that came with my eMachines box, and then upgrading Vista from there, but I really hate those programs, as the offer NO user control over anything. They just nuke everything and do a forced installation.

Thanks in advance for any tips,

Scubapro

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592581

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice