1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Installation Mystery..Microsoft Tech cant figure it out.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by CheckMyTitl, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CheckMyTitl

CheckMyTitl Thread Starter

Hey Guys

Tough one that Microsoft technical support cant figure out.
    I install Vista Ultimate. It goes through the normal set up process, reboots a few times then the screen "running Windows for the First Time" comes up. Once this is up for a few mins a Vista screen comes up and says completing installation. After about 3 mins of that a screen flashes for about 2 secs that says "Windows Vista cannot complete installation" and immediately powers off the system. Restarting the machine just makes it do a roll back to the XP Pro that I was running before. I get the same crash regardless of if its 32bit or 64 bit. Crashes in the exact same place and is repeatable. I have run the VIsta Advisor and it says I am good to go.

Running:

120G HDD

Pentium 4 2.8GHZ

Radeon x1900

1G ram

Vista Upgrade Advisor says my system should run fine. Albiet it says I should run Home Basic.

Is it possible that my processor itself may be the cause? This is not a HT processor.

Specs are:

Intel Pentium 4---Processor 511+

LGA775

2.8 GHZ

533 MHZ FSB

1MB L2 Cache

Intel EM64T

Thanks.

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

Good job of noting your hardware.

Do you have a spare HDD? If so, trying installing Vista Ultimate to the spare HDD. If the installation fails, your copy of Vista [ presumably DVD ] is damaged. OK. Maybe not, but I doubt that the problem is your processor, or any other hardware. I installed Vista Ultimate, RFC 1 on a PC with a Sempron processor, much slower & with less ram / cache than your PC.

Have you checked Intel's site?

According to Microsoft, AERO will run on a 1 GHZ cpu.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/systemrequirements.mspx

Are you overclocking your CPU or GPU [ if your video card has a GPU ]?

In defense of the Microsoft tech, even with all of the Beta testing, not all computer configurations could be tested. During the 1st 1 to 2 months after Microsoft launches a product, the call centers are besieged by users. The call center circulates a "hot sheet" with commonly encountered issues & proposed fixes. Once a fix has been deemed reliable, the fix enters the online knowledge base [ KB ] library.

Best of success.

Sincerely,
    RF123

3. rcmojo66

rcmojo66

The x1900 and 1gb of RAM should allow you to run Ultimate. I'm curious as to why Basic was recommended. If you have a spare video card, I would try installing with that one and if it works, add the x1900 after installation completes.

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

Turn off the computer.

As r66 advised, remove the Radeon, install with a different Video card. I don't know if the installation will detect a non-AERO compatible video card and force you to a non-AERO compatible version of Vista. If it does, I don't know how easy / difficult it will be to upgrade to Vista. Even if you have a product key for Ultimate, if your hardware doesn't meet standards, AERO compatible Vista will not be installed.

RF123

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540939

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice