1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Installation - won't go forward, won't go back

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by wb4rt, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wb4rt

wb4rt Thread Starter

Last night, after about 10 minutes, I finally figured out how to open the plastic case for my shiny new Vista Home Premium edition. I started the installation and had a problem with "Nero" so I uninstalled "Nero", still showed a problem with "Nero" so I went to Monday's restore point. Finally the Vista installation started. After the first 3 steps finished and it was completing the installation, it returns an error "encountered problem, click to restart installation".
    Long story short, I went through this 3-4 times. It would not boot in Safe Mode either. Finally I tried to rollback to Windows XP SP2 and it will not do that either. I am stuck in "Windows Upgrade Purgatory".
    Vista support doesn't open until 8:00 EST, an hour after I have to be at work.
    Does anyone have any advice on where to start when I get home, other than call MS?
    I prefer not to do a clean install.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First what is it you want to do?
    Do you want to reinstall xp or do you want vista to run?
    I always recommend a clean install over an upgrade, however I actually did install vista as an upgrade on one system and it worked fine.
    Post back with what you want to do. FWIW I would just boot the vista DVD and delete ALL partitions on the disk and do a clean install of vista. You can then reload your compatible apps and restore data work files from a backup.

Note the above will destroy ALL data on the disk so make sure you have backups of important info on another drive, dvdrw, etc.

3. wb4rt

wb4rt Thread Starter

I have installed every operating system from DOS 1.0 through Windows XP - almost always without a hitch. I understand what you are suggesting, but the problem is I cannot easily do anything. Of course I could boot up on the Windows XP or Vista cd and fdisk and format the drive, start all over, etc. but I would much rather just finish installing Vista. Right now, I cannot get to a command screen, a Start button, or anything. Vista just goes to the error screen. If I F8 and try Safe Mode, it still goes to an error screen, requires me to re-boot, and then cycles back to an error screen. If I am quick enough, I can down arrow on boot-up and select the roll back option, but even that does not work.
    Unless someone has a better idea, I don't know of anything other than a clean install and as stated, I would rather not.
    Suggestions? Thanks for any input.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It would seem your install has problems. Just start over and do a clean install. Trying to salvage a bad install is going to take you more time than it is worth.

If you have important data on the drive, slave it to the system you are using now and back it up. Do make sure you have drivers for all of your hardware before you start; this makes the install go much easier.

BTW there is no fdsik any more. All partitioning and formatting is done from the vista or xp setup.

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

What file system are you useing? . . NTFS or FAT32? . . I don't think Vista is going to install on a FAT32 file system

6. wb4rt

wb4rt Thread Starter

In case anyone else has this problem, here is some information from Microsoft's Level 2 Tech Support for Vista.
    1. Nero is a known problem with Vista. Be sure you uninstall COMPLETELY before you attempt to upgrade from XP to Vista.
    2. Vista only allows you one (that's right - 1) chance to rollback once you have initiated the upgrade. If you are not successful the first time, you do not get a second chance. This is what caused all of my problems. Some of your original OS files are erased and not recoverable after one rollback attempt.
    3. Despite what the program will tell you, you can upgrade to Vista from XP and it does NOT require XP to be at SP2 level. He told me to do a clean, basic install of XP, then start my upgrade to Vista and it worked fine.
    4. You cannot do a clean install from the Vista upgrade version. You must have an OEM version installed before you can install Vista upgrades. You must re-install XP to delete your partion and format. This is a problem if you have a hard drive bigger than the 130 gig limit on the original XP. If you have the full version of Vista, you can delete and create partions etc.
    5. Long story short, I had an extra hard drive and replaced my original hard drive, installed Vista, restored my programs and backups, now when I get time I will slave my original hard drive to make sure I am not missing anything. After that I will re-partion to the full limit of my hard drive, format, and transfer all of my files back to my original hard drive.

BTW, I think I really like Vista. It is fast, my monitor never looked so good, and seems to be very secure.

Thanks for your help and advice. I hope this information may help someone else.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539897

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice